Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where do i find my macbook pro model number? like a1398?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 2:10 PM

13 replies

Sep 9, 2013 8:20 AM in response to Jan Andreas Knudsen

Here is some info:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/mac-specs-by-model-number-family-n umber.html

As you can see, the model number is now used for several different models in the same "family" and is no longer unique, whereas previously (and if I remember correctly) every Mac had its own model number: if it was a 1.8 GHZ, it was MB1xxxLL/A vs. same family, but a 2.0 GHz, the number would be different. And, by saying "dropped using model numbers", I meant that Apple no longer really identifies a machine by that number - I'm not "claiming" anything. They now regularly use the "iMac 9,2" Identifier as evidenced in About this Mac System Info.

FWIW, the EMC number (found on the bottom of the stand for iMacs) is far more precise (but that is not a model number). I don't know where it would be located on other Macs.

Dec 14, 2013 10:55 PM in response to evelinapr

Unfortunately, that's not it either. On the bottom of my MBP from Mid 2010 it says "A1286". That's great, but that's not the unique model number. For instance, looking for a keyboard for it I found one that is compatible with:

(MC371LL/A, A1286, MacBookPro6,2) - Mid 2010
(MC372LL/A, A1286, MacBookPro6,2) - Mid 2010
(MC373LL/A, A1286, MacBookPro6,2) - Mid 2010

Each one of those is MBP6,2 from Mid 2010, model A1286, but what about those first sets of numbers? Is mine one of those three? Or did they make more than just those three and mine may be one of the ones not listed?

I can't seem to find any way to know for sure, short of ordering the thing and hoping that it fits. :-/

Dec 15, 2013 4:12 AM in response to KadenP

KadenP wrote:

Unfortunately, that's not it either. On the bottom of my MBP from Mid 2010 it says "A1286". That's great, but that's not the unique model number. For instance, looking for a keyboard for it I found one that is compatible with:

(MC371LL/A, A1286, MacBookPro6,2) - Mid 2010
(MC372LL/A, A1286, MacBookPro6,2) - Mid 2010
(MC373LL/A, A1286, MacBookPro6,2) - Mid 2010

Each one of those is MBP6,2 from Mid 2010, model A1286, but what about those first sets of numbers? Is mine one of those three? Or did they make more than just those three and mine may be one of the ones not listed?

I can't seem to find any way to know for sure, short of ordering the thing and hoping that it fits. :-/

Those are "order numbers", in this case:

• MC371LL/A = 2.4 GHz CPU
  • MC372LL/A = 2.53 GHz CPU
  • MC373LL/A = 2.66 GHz CPU

These are all the flavors there exists for a model A1286 with identifier "MacBookPro6,2".

Going back to the excellent earlier post of babowa I believe it works as follows:

• The model number (A1286) which you can find on the bottom of your MBP doesn't say too much: it's used from late 2008 to mid 2012 MBP 15" models.
  • In addition you have model identifiers (MacBookPro6,2), which in your case nears it down to a mid-2010 model.
  • But you can also have different model numbers for a single model identifier and there comes in the EMC number Balboa mentions. I believe it's a unique comination between a model number and a model identifier. For example, the MacBookPro3,1 can be a 15" or a 17", which each a different model number (A1226 and A1229) so they each have a unique EMC number. I wouldn't know where to find the EMC number on a MBP, by the way.
  • One step down: within each model identifier you have several order numbers, the three you have listed above. Generally they distinguish different CPUs in standard configurations. However, if there is CTO/BTO option to upgrade a CPU it would not have its own order number. My BTO MBP 17" mid-2010 has an i7 2.66 GHz CPU but the order number is equal to the standard i5 2.53 GHz CPU.

Apart the very good website babowa provided a link to, you can download the free (donationware) application Mactracker from the App Store, which is a well maintained database of about every piece of hardware and every OS Apple ever released with a very friendly user interface. Click on "This Mac" and you got all the info I described above.

Message was edited by: EVO67

Apr 13, 2014 10:50 PM in response to daboss6

Toolbar > Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info

Click the "Support" tab in upper right of toolbar.

It will link to the Apple Support page dedicated to yur make and model.

About half way down the page is a table with your model #s -

#s are based on the processor config. so you have to go back and double cheeck which processor you have if you don't know. Table looks like this:User uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.