Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot copy file. Not enough free space.

I am trying to copy a recent copy of my iPhoto Library from a clone to my Pictures folder on my MacBook Pro's harddisk. I have delete the iPhoto Library in that folder and have emptied the trash. Finder shows that I have more than 600 GB of 1 TB free on the built-in harddisk, and the copy is "only" 397 GB. Nevertheless, I am receiving the error that there is not enough free space to do the copy. I have tried booting from the clone and then copying to the built-in harddisk, but the result is the same. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Richard

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 4:02 PM

See what the Storage display shows for free space.

It may be much smaller than the 600 GB shown by the Finder. If so, the difference may be your Local Snapshots, in the Backups category. If so, you can delete them by just turning Time Machine OFF briefly.

2 replies

Cannot copy file. Not enough free space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.