Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes always ask to accept incoming network connections?

When I open iTunes I always get this message:

"Do you want the application "ITunes.app" to accept incoming network connections?

Clicking Deny may limit the application's behavior. This setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of Security preferences."

Is there a way to allow iTunes to bypass the Firewall without disabling it entirely? I can't seem to find it in Help for Firewall.

....goldie

Message was edited by: Goldenbill - Why does iTunes need to allow incoming network connections?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2T 3.33GHz Intel2 4G-Ram

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 4:03 PM

From System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall help:

The Firewall pane of Security & Privacy preferences

You can use the firewall in OS X to prevent unwanted connections from the Internet or other networks.

Certain shared services can connect through the firewall when they are turned on in Sharing preferences. For additional security, you can prevent connections to these incoming services by turning off the service in Sharing preferences. For more information about sharing, see this help topic:

Share your Mac with others on your network

OPTIONDESCRIPTION

Turn On Firewall

If Firewall is turned off, click Turn On Firewall to turn on firewall protection.

To modify firewall settings, click Firewall Options.

Firewall Options

The Firewall Options button lets you change firewall settings.

Block all incoming connections

To have the firewall prevent incoming connections to nonessential services and apps, select “Block all incoming connections.”

Basic Internet services are a set of apps that allow your computer to find services provided by other computers on the network. This setting prevents connections to all other sharing services.

Add ➕

To add an app, click Add (+), select the app in the list, and then use the Up Arrow and Down Arrow keys to set the limits for the app.

Delete ➖

To remove an app, select it in the list and then click Remove (-).

Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections

This setting allows apps and services that are signed by a valid certificate authority to be automatically added to the list of allowed apps, rather than requiring you to authorize them. For example, iTunes is signed by Apple, and so it is automatically allowed to receive incoming connections through the firewall.

Enable Stealth Mode

Stealth mode prevents your system from responding to probing requests that can be used to reveal its existence. The system still answers requests from authorized apps, but unauthorized requests such as ICMP (ping), get no response.

See especially the "Block all incoming connections" writeup.

Incoming network connections are required for numerous reasons. Among them:

• See if there are pending updates for iOS apps, or iTunes itself.
  • Update Genius data.
  • Update purchases made on other devices.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2013 4:03 PM in response to Goldenbill

From System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall help:

The Firewall pane of Security & Privacy preferences

You can use the firewall in OS X to prevent unwanted connections from the Internet or other networks.

Certain shared services can connect through the firewall when they are turned on in Sharing preferences. For additional security, you can prevent connections to these incoming services by turning off the service in Sharing preferences. For more information about sharing, see this help topic:

Share your Mac with others on your network

OPTIONDESCRIPTION

Turn On Firewall

If Firewall is turned off, click Turn On Firewall to turn on firewall protection.

To modify firewall settings, click Firewall Options.

Firewall Options

The Firewall Options button lets you change firewall settings.

Block all incoming connections

To have the firewall prevent incoming connections to nonessential services and apps, select “Block all incoming connections.”

Basic Internet services are a set of apps that allow your computer to find services provided by other computers on the network. This setting prevents connections to all other sharing services.

Add ➕

To add an app, click Add (+), select the app in the list, and then use the Up Arrow and Down Arrow keys to set the limits for the app.

Delete ➖

To remove an app, select it in the list and then click Remove (-).

Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections

This setting allows apps and services that are signed by a valid certificate authority to be automatically added to the list of allowed apps, rather than requiring you to authorize them. For example, iTunes is signed by Apple, and so it is automatically allowed to receive incoming connections through the firewall.

Enable Stealth Mode

Stealth mode prevents your system from responding to probing requests that can be used to reveal its existence. The system still answers requests from authorized apps, but unauthorized requests such as ICMP (ping), get no response.

See especially the "Block all incoming connections" writeup.

Incoming network connections are required for numerous reasons. Among them:

• Update Genius data.

Aug 27, 2013 8:03 PM in response to sberman

i've told iTunes to accept incoming connections in the firewall settings as described, but it still always asks me when I start up iTunes.

really annoying. makes me doubt the functionality of the whole security system preference settings, since it just ignores me anyway.

any thoughts? permission setting changes? other obscure system parameter changes?

seems to have started about 2-3 iTunes updates ago. suspect system software issue.

:-(

Aug 28, 2013 6:08 PM in response to sberman

User uploaded file

This is what my Security Permissions Advanced tells me. It seems to say that iTunes is open for incoming connections. Why, then, do they need to ask me for permission every time?

User uploaded file

I've also gone into sharing but see no evidence that iTunes would be affected in any way by sharing.

Sharing is, however, opening a new avenue for getting my G5 online. Thank you so much. 🙂

Aug 28, 2013 8:42 PM in response to Goldenbill

Under "More Like This" on this page, there is a similar thread which suggests throwing away iTunes and reinstalling from a newly downloaded installer.

This fixed the problem for me. Obviously some kind of permission or application signature was corrupted by the update process.

Deleteing iTunes and reinstalling the most recent version from a download completely resolved this issue for me in Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.

Dec 22, 2016 2:16 PM in response to sberman

I wonder about why iTunes needs INCOMING connections permission. You mention

• Update Genius data.

but to me each of these appears to be a case of iTunes' OUTGOING connections. I am wondering if there are specific apps/processes that reach IN to iTunes.

My iTunes library also contains audio notes etc. I am not worried about some incoming connection seeing what Music I have but someone somehow accessing voice notes that have business related info in them is something to avoid.

But I wonder what legitimate processes may need connections IN to iTunes so I that I do not inadvertently disable something useful. Hope to find an answer on that.

Regards

Imran

Why does iTunes always ask to accept incoming network connections?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.