Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving texts without wifi

I have an iPhone 4 and an ipad, synced for iMessage and such. When I iMessage somebody through my phone, and leave the house, I don't get the text until I have wifi again (I don't have cellular data). I used to be able to, not anymore. And when I text somebody without wifi, I don't get a response until I have wifi again. Please help!!!

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3, Mac OSX Lion

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 11:54 AM

I am having the same problem sending text messages to my daughter on her Iphone 5S. She has shut off the cellular data, as she will be traveling internationally. Do I need to shut off MMS Messaging on my iPhone for her to receive my text? Or if both SMS and MMS are on, will it be sent as both?

16 replies

Dec 1, 2013 3:12 PM in response to Daniel Garber

I'm having the same issue, I just got my Iphone 5s 3 days ago and when I'm at home using wifi and texting someone who also has an Iphone it works great, but as soon as I leave the wifi area I can send text messages, but I don't receive them until I'm using wifi again. I went to my settings to turn on the SMS texting when IMessaging isn't available hoping that would fix it, but it had no effect. I have cellular data, but It's not unlimited so I don't like to use it just because I share it with other people. Any help would be fantastic!

Aug 25, 2013 8:47 PM in response to Daniel Garber

SMS and MMS are carrier features. SMS are sent over the voice part of the carrier network while MMS use cellular data provided by your carrier. Imessages are sent over wifi if available or cellular data when wifi is not available. In settings/messages on your phone do you have send as SMS ON? Do you have MMS messaging ON? Without a cellular data plan you the only way you can send/receive imessages containing pictures is with wifi and that is when you are home

Aug 25, 2013 9:00 PM in response to Daniel Garber

Well the bubble is green and not blue when I send it. Let me go the throught the whole process of what happens. I have a conversation via iMessage with someone else who has an iPhone, and I leave the house (remember no cellular so I can't do iMessage). So I want to keep that conversation going, so I send a text message (bubble is green, not iMessage, it's sending over carrier). I don't get a response until I'm back at home with wifi. This never used to happen

Mar 31, 2014 7:06 PM in response to Daniel Garber

I just went through this same thing and spent a few hours at my carrier store trying to find away around this. You can't send imessages, or MMS without the cellular data. Even if you have the option turned on, you need the data turned on too. I was forced to purchase a larger data plan, even though my phone plan includes unlimited text/picture messages. I hope they change this. Turn off you imessage and just send regular text messages. You should get them sooner.

Apr 3, 2014 2:47 AM in response to Daniel Garber

I have the same problem and the provided "solution" to the problem is not really a solution.

It just explains what happens but it's not the whole story.

Here is why:

I have different friends with iphones. I have no data plan.

From some of the friends with iphone I always get a response, and from some only when I am in wifi range.

In both cases the imessage works (all blue) when I am in wifi range.

With some of the friends it switches automatically from imessage to SMS depending on availability of wifi.

With some it works only one way. I can always send but will receive only when I am in wifi range.

So my question is:

Since it is different with different iphones, the setting for it must be individual. Is there something in my phone I can change specifically for that contact?

Or do those friends have to change something in their settings so I can receive message from them when I am not it wifi range?

Not receiving texts without wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.