Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wanting to use Time Machine through a Seagate External HD connected to my Airport Extreme

I own a Macbook and I'm wirelessly connected throughout my home through the use of a Airport Extreme (which is an amazing router). I also have a Seagate External Hard Drive connected to the Airport Extreme. Can I use Time Machine or do I need a capsule?

Airport Extreme-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 7:46 PM

2 replies

Aug 26, 2013 12:10 AM in response to scott.nejedlo

As John says, Apple makes it, well, clear as mud. 😟

We know from lots of experience that backing-up to a USB drive connected to the old, flat Airport Extremes usually isn't reliable, although a few folks have been doing it without problems for years. If those will be your only backups, we'd strongly advise not to depend on them -- what usually happens is, they suddenly turn up corrupted with no warning!

Apple added instructions for setting-up Time Machine to the manual for the new model.

The new model also seems to have the same internals as a Time Capsule (unlike the earlier ones), which might explain why Apple raised the price of the Extreme, but not the price of the smaller Time Capsule.

Wanting to use Time Machine through a Seagate External HD connected to my Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.