Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to set up a Mac as a server

We have come to the point where we need a central back up point for all the computers in our household. I was thinking about setting up one computer as a server, which would have maybe an external hard drive set up. Am I on the right path, or would there be other options?

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 10:21 PM

6 replies

Aug 25, 2013 11:28 PM in response to Jenssammeyer

Depending upon your storage needs, desired backup capacity, desired speed, and budget, another option is Network Area Storage (NAS), a dedicated server attached via an Ethernet cable directly to your wireless network router.

I recently purchased an iomega/Lenovo 2TB unit to back up a MacBook with 500GB, a MacBook Pro with 500GB, and a 64GB iPad2: http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/network-storage-desktop/ez-media/?partner=47 60

The server allows the use of Time Machine for the MacBooks, and has an iOS app for iPads and iPhones. While 'cloud access' to my backup files is one of the available configurations, I have not implemented it.

Initial Time Machine full-backup time was going to be somewhat long (over 24 hours) for my MacBook using my wireless setup, so I connected my MacBook directly with an Ethernet cable, and cut the required time down to under 8 hours. (The other two devices aren't nearly as full.)

I've had it installed just about 30 days, so I can't comment on long-term ownership, but it is working well for my modest backup needs.

Aug 25, 2013 11:32 PM in response to Jenssammeyer

Depending upon your storage needs, desired backup capacity, desired speed, and budget, another option is Network Area Storage (NAS), a dedicated server attached via an Ethernet cable directly to your wireless network router.

I recently purchased an iomega/Lenovo 2TB unit to back up a MacBook with 500GB, a MacBook Pro with 500GB, and a 64GB iPad2: http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/network-storage-desktop/ez-media/?partner=47 60

The server allows the use of Time Machine for the MacBooks, and has an iOS app for iPads and iPhones. While 'cloud access' to my backup files is one of the available configurations, I have not implemented it.

Initial Time Machine full-backup time was going to be somewhat long (over 24 hours) for my MacBook using my wireless setup, so I connected my MacBook directly with an Ethernet cable, and cut the required time down to under 8 hours. (The other two devices aren't nearly as full.)

I've had it installed just about 30 days, so I can't comment on long-term ownership, but it is working well for my modest backup needs.

Aug 26, 2013 12:56 AM in response to Jenssammeyer

You don't necessarily need the Server software.

Laptops can be backed-up over your network to a shared drive on a desktop Mac (or a stationary laptop) running a normal installation of OSX. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #22 for setup instructions.

Desktop Macs are best backed-up to a dedicated external HD, but can be backed-up the same way. If possible, connect them to your network via Ethernet -- it will be 2-3 times faster and much more reliable.

how to set up a Mac as a server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.