Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am planning to buy an ipad mini, basically for navigation but i found ipad mini with wifi and 3g comes with additional gps and glonass supportivity.. kindly help me in choosing in the best?

I have used ipad with retina display which was wifi+cellular, i mostly use it for navigation overseas. I use the app Isailor for all my purposes which i felt very convinient and the gps accuracy was excellent even when i am not connected to network. Now am planning to buy an ipad mini, which also comes with wifi and wifi+cellular where this wifi+cellular model comes with additional GPS and GLONASS feature. if i buy ipad mini only with wifi which doesnt have this additional feature will the accuracy of the gps be the same as the other one even when i am not connected.

iPad, ipad mini

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 1:53 AM

Wifi only iPads don't have a built-in GPS chip, only the cellular models do - if you get a wifi-only model you will need to either be connected to a wifi network so that it can get a position (and that wifi router will need to be in Apple's database and be accurately located in it), or you will need to get an external GPS unit for use with it (e.g. Bad-Elf make some compatible units). But you will be better off geting a cellular model if GPS usage is a main reason for getting it

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2013 1:53 AM in response to dhamodharan

Wifi only iPads don't have a built-in GPS chip, only the cellular models do - if you get a wifi-only model you will need to either be connected to a wifi network so that it can get a position (and that wifi router will need to be in Apple's database and be accurately located in it), or you will need to get an external GPS unit for use with it (e.g. Bad-Elf make some compatible units). But you will be better off geting a cellular model if GPS usage is a main reason for getting it

Am planning to buy an ipad mini, basically for navigation but i found ipad mini with wifi and 3g comes with additional gps and glonass supportivity.. kindly help me in choosing in the best?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.