Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older imac just for music production?

Hi,

I have an 'oldish' iMac 21" (white casing with isight camera - macOSX 10.5.8 - 2.1GHz power pc G5 - 1.5GB DDR2 SDRAM- apx march2006).

I am wondering if this machine would be ok for running pro tools (or perhaps other music prod apps) and not much else - just music production.

If the answer i get is yes, how does one go about removing everything off the imac to make it essentially new again?

thanks in advance

adam

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2Ghz Intel core 2 duo 2GB ram

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 11:12 PM

1 reply

Aug 27, 2013 7:44 AM in response to nibbs

nibbs wrote: ... I am wondering if this machine would be ok for running pro tools (or perhaps other music prod apps) and not much else - just music production....

Yes, but you must check software system requirements with your iMac's hardware capability. Example:

1. Decide which software you want to use based on what you want to do.

For example, you might decide you need Apple Logic Pro X to do the things you want.

2. Look at Logic Pro X Technical Specifications to find its minimum System Requirements.

3. Compare the specs for your iMac with those needed by Logic Pro X.

4. I cannot tell exactly which iMac you use from your description. However,

because Logic Pro X requires Mac OS X 10.8.4 or later, I know it cannot work with your

PowerPC Mac. PPC Macs cannot run any OS X version later than 10.5.x.

5. If lesser software will meet your needs, you may decide to try to find an older version

of Logic like Apple Logic Express or something else whose system requirements match

the capabilities of your iMac. NOS (new old stock) items of older software versions

compatible with your PPC Mac may be available at your store or on line.

If you MUST haveLogic Pro X capability, there is no way to make your old iMac work.

nibbs wrote:... how does one go about removing everything off the imac to make it essentially new again...

Make backups of all important files. (They are NEVER coming back.)

Startup your iMac with the OS X install (DVD) disk. You MUST boot with the install/restore disk that came with your iMac or use the 10.5 Leopard install DVD if you upgraded from an earlier Mac OS X version.)

After you choose your language, use Disk Utility on the Install DVD to "zero" (sometimes called "secure erase") your startup disk. This can take an more than an hour per "pass", so do NOT use the higher numbers of zero writes option for your purpose. One zero write pass is enough.

After your disk is wiped, quit Disk Utility. While still booted with the same DVD, choose to "Install (or reinstall) OS X. You can follow or print the instructions from Apple's Welcome to Leopard document.

After the restart that completes the installation, your Mac will be as new. You can then install any of the applications that you want to use from the disks that came with your Mac or from Apple or third-party software CD/DVDs.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.4

Older imac just for music production?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.