Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics Ram usage for LPX?

Hi There,

I downlaoded istat menus 4 ( http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ ) and had a look at my graphics card memory usage (you can see this by clicking on the CPU tab at the top once iStat menus 4 is installed).

It shows that I am using the entire 1gig of VRAM just by having OX X.8.4 running, no other apps.

Is this normal?

On a mid 2010 mac pro 8-core. ATI Radeon 5770.

Can some of you take a look and let me know what it's using on yor machine cause on my side I get GUI lag in LPX that really irritates me and I'm trying to see if it has anything to do with my graphics card.

Would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 10:38 AM

Yes, it is normal. Logic X uses OpenGL rendering, rather than the standard 2D Cocoa/AGL/Quartz APIs that Logic 9 did. When running an OpenGL program (like a videogame), OpenGL will reserve all free graphics memory for its address space and release some whenever another API needs it (which is almost never).

Nearly all 3D and graphics intensive programs on Mac use OpenGL and all can access the same memory space, so there is no harm done by this.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2013 10:38 AM in response to Chance Harper

Yes, it is normal. Logic X uses OpenGL rendering, rather than the standard 2D Cocoa/AGL/Quartz APIs that Logic 9 did. When running an OpenGL program (like a videogame), OpenGL will reserve all free graphics memory for its address space and release some whenever another API needs it (which is almost never).

Nearly all 3D and graphics intensive programs on Mac use OpenGL and all can access the same memory space, so there is no harm done by this.

Aug 26, 2013 4:18 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

OpenCL only really utilizes the GPU to do GPGPU processing. It has no graphics functionality. Logic doesn't implement that in it's native plugins or core application at all, just provides the framework for plugins to use the GPU to accelerate themselves natively (as well as other forms of DSP).

Until plugin manufacturers come out with OpenCL versions of thier plugins (the same way that Adobe started having plugins with CUDA versions).

Aug 27, 2013 3:48 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

HI

i am loosing my **** too over LPX graphics lag. I experience it with the mixer mostly. When i scroll in the mixer back and forth it takes a little bit to move and then it is very jumpy and not smooth like it was in logic 9. Also i noticed today that when i zoom in tight on the arrangment page, the computer seems to jamup. I get audio glitches and the graphic scrolling moves slower.

I Have a dual quad core 2.8 ghz 2008 model with 20 gigs of ram, ssd drive, os 10 newest update

i Have a nvidea gtx285 with 1gb of ram. It says in my system preferences that it is using cuda.

is this card the problem or cuda? Do i need to change something for my graphics card to work better?

also i use a logitech wireless bluetooth mouse. When i scroll in the mixer back and forth, the lag is so much worse then if i grab the rubber band scroller on the bottom

Please help

thanks a lot 🙂

Aug 28, 2013 12:17 AM in response to jojijung

jojijung... i am so furious with apple.... and i totally feel your pain man.... i wish i knew the answer to the questions you pose.... cause i'll do anything for someone to tell us what we must do to get rid of the stupid, bladie lag that plagues a LPX setup.

As you can see from above my system is a mid 2010 8-core mac pro with 14gig ram and running the ATI radeon HD 5770 graphics card (1gig Vram) and I too expeirence what you are experiencing.

On my side, its' workable and i get stuff done but it's just not accpetable for an apple product to perform like this.

@Gen: do you perhaps know if upgrading to a different video card with more Vram would improve performance in LPX regaridng this LAG we speak about so often?

Aug 28, 2013 2:09 AM in response to Chance Harper

I personally haven't tested any different models of Pro's graphics cards, so I wouldn't make any swift judgements, but the track record as it stands is that OS X driver related failings tend to come from the ATi side of the fence, so maybe switching to Nvidia will help, but the Quadro is really overkill for the task. Go for a GeForce, because the only cards that should chug at all are the PowerMac 7300GTs that some people use.

This is probably more a sloppy implementation than a lack of processing power. Modern graphic cards are designed for 3D so it's virtually impossible to stress them when doing far easier 2D. I have a freezing GUI issue right now as it stands (where the GUI freezes in place and the program still responds to all logic input (including moving notes, playhead adding tracks etc) but only refreshes on certain types of clicks and stays frozen otherwise) so I think they need to iron out the bugs in thier new GUI code.

Wait till 10.1.0 and use LP9. LPX isn't quite that mature yet imho.

Graphics Ram usage for LPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.