Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reset to factory spec

I have taken over a family computer which runs on Leopard OS. Unfortunately I was not given any discs and I find it is password protected (which I do not know) I would like to upgrade to snow leopard and hopefully wipe clean the hard drive so starting afresh. Is it possible to do this without the original installation discs? I have never used a mac before and dont know how to go about getting a replacement original disc. If I buy snow leopard would this do it for me and wipe the hard drive or do I still need a disc. HELP!!!!!!!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 3:50 AM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2013 10:04 AM in response to thistlebank

First, you need to verify if the machine will run snow leopard. you need an intel machine to run snow leopard.

You may want to post machine info.

blue apple > about this mac > more info button. Click on the hardware line. It has a little triangle in front of the word hardware.

Leave out the serial number.

Example:

Machine Name: iMac

Machine Model: PowerMac4,1

CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (33.11)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 600 MHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB

Memory: 768 MB

Bus Speed: 100 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.1.9f1

--------------------------------------------------------------

Get the Mac to set up an additional administrative account. You can then change the password on your old account.

Start with your computer power off. Hold down command-s. Power on your computer.

Type in the following:

The first two commands will depend on your release of Mac OS X. Look at what is typed out in the console to determine the exact format.

# Type the follow two instructions to access the startup disk in read/write. Press return after each command.

# in case of partial success repeat this command until errors go away.

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /var/db

pwd

#List all files. The l is a lower case L.

ls -a

#The move command acts as a rename command in this format.

mv -i .applesetupdone .applesetupdone.old

# reboot your mac

shutdown -r now

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

Limnos adds detailed explainations:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8441597#8441597

The above the idea came from a post by JoseAranda at September 9, 2006 3:48 AM

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_reset_my_mac_os_x_admin_root_password.html

You will need to scroll down to see this post. Search for applesetupdone

This method is mentioned in an apple support page without giving an explanation.

Once you have a new administrative account, you can change the password of your old administrative account

blue apple > System Preferences > Accounts

Aug 27, 2013 2:11 AM in response to rccharles

thank you so much for your help II have now been given the password I needed but would still like to wipe the machine back to factory settings. None of the stuff on it is mine so it would be great to start from fresh and especially get rid of the itunes library that is already on it.

The machine is Intel so if I purchase a snow leopard disc will it hopefully delete what is already on machine so I can start afresh - or will it ask for the original installation discs at some point? If so I may have to purchase these as well.

I really appreciate your help

Aug 27, 2013 9:14 AM in response to thistlebank

Reformat the hd then install Snow Lepard. You do not need to install the original software.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Format a disk using the installation DVD

To format the startup drive, you will need to run disk utility from your installation DVD.

This article will tell you how to get to disk utility. Once in a disk utility, you can go and format the disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

To format your startup drive, you will need to run disk utility from your startup DVD.
Mac OS X 10.4: About the utilities available on the Mac OS X 10.4 Install DVD

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2055

How to run disk utility from your startup DVD.

1. Insert your startup DVD into your reader. Power down your machine. Hold down to the c key. Power on your machine. This will bootup your startup DVD. ( Alternatively, you may hold down the control key, this brings up the startup manager. Click on the desired volume. Click on the right arrow. )
  2. This will bring you to a panel asking you for your language. Pick your language.
  3. User uploaded file
  4. You you come to the Install Mac OS panel. Do not install.
  5. Click on Utilities menu item. This will give you a pulldown list of utilities. User uploaded file
  6. Click on the disk utility.
  7. Start up disk utility.
    On the left pane view, you will see a list of all your disks. Click on the external disk.
    Click on the partition tab.

User uploaded file

8. You will now see how your external disk is currently set up. Fill in the information as appropriate. You should pick Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

More details on formatting.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/partitioning_tiger.html

how to reset to factory spec

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.