Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina Image Retention

Hey all,

My Macbook Pro Retina display has started to get image retention/screen burn in. It's only slight and noticable on greyish backgrounds.

I've read that models with the LG display are susceptible to this fault, whilst models with the Samsung model incur a yellowish tint, which I would probably find more annoying.

At the moment the image retention doesn't really bother me but is it likely to get worse as time goes on?

My Yearly warantee is nearly up so if it is likely to get worse I'd prefer to get it replaced now.

Thanks,

L

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 10:19 AM

4 replies

Aug 26, 2013 11:36 AM in response to element059

element059 wrote:

...At the moment the image retention doesn't really bother me but is it likely to get worse as time goes on?

My Yearly warantee is nearly up so if it is likely to get worse I'd prefer to get it replaced now...

Since your original warranty is still in effect, you can still buy AppleCare if you want. And since the IR sounds less obnoxious to you than the Samsung tint, hedging your bets with AppleCare might make sense.

I assume you've already spent some time in this thread and know the pros and cons of getting a replacement. There appear to be at least three variations on the Retina display. Samsung, LG SJA1 and LG SJA2. Reading through that thread suggests that replacements tend to be Samsung rather than the newer LG but even with what's probably the longest thread in Apple Support Communities history, it's still likely a small sample, so I don't think there's a definitive answer on what replacements are used. I mention that because my SJA2 has shown no signs of IR at all and no tint either, so there might be hope.

Update: Just stumbled on this thread which, while not local, suggests that once a Samsung is installed, there appears to be no going back, at least not for now. Two more years of warranty might help.😉

Aug 27, 2013 2:01 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Hi,

Thanks for that info. This is very useful.

I do prefer the look of the LG screen over the Samsung. My friend has the same laptop but with the Samsung screen and it doesn't appear as bright as the LG. It also has that yellow tint on white backgrounds.

I would prefer the LG SJA2 but I doubt you can pick and choose your replacement.

Since Apple deemed it necessary to solder everything to one board the AppleCare does sound like a good bet.

I'm still a bit disgruntled at having to pay an additional fee for what is an already overpriced machine. It's a shame Apple's warrantee doesn't extend beyond 1 year but I guess they don't have much faith in their own product lifespan.

Macbook Pro Retina Image Retention

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.