Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I download Final Cut Express 4.0.1?

I recently reinstalled Final Cut Express 4.0 on an iMac running Mountain Lion. Unfortunately, I am are not getting the option to download the Final Cut Express 4.0.1 update via the "Software Update" page. 4.0.1 is essential to work with certain codecs such as AVCHD. Where can I find the update? I am unable to find it in Apple's Support downloads. The only thing available there is an old FCE 2 update. Any ideas?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 9:55 AM

7 replies

Aug 26, 2013 10:19 AM in response to Jtrekkie

To update to 4.0.1, you should be going to the Apple menu and choose Software Update. That should present a list of updates available for your computer. If that is not working, then:

Did you modify the installation in any way? Move it to a different folder, or rename it?

Software update will only function when the application is left as it was installed by the installer.

Also, do you have FCP-X installed?

MtD

Aug 26, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Meg - I know that's how it normally works (and it did up until this most recent install, which is the first time since earlier this year), but for some reason it is not coming up in Software Update. The software has been installed like normal to the default destination. Nothing has been moved, and FCP-X nor FCP 7 are installed. The only Final Cut version on this computer is FCE.

Aug 26, 2013 12:08 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Did you completely remove FCE prior to the re-install? If not, there may be legacy files that are telling Software Update that you have 4.0.1. Make a back up copy of your system disk, then -

Download FCS Remover from Digital Rebellion:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

run it, and try the install again. Then try your software update.

MtD

Oct 30, 2013 9:28 PM in response to Jtrekkie

I just figured out how to install the 4.0.1 update in Mavericks. The problem is that the old Software Update mechanism is completely gone in Mavericks.

1. Install Final Cut Express 4.0 on a computer running Mountain Lion (but I’m sure that Lion or Snow Leopard would work, as well).

2. On the command line use “sudo softwareupdate --download FCE401-4.0.1”.

3. Go to /Library/Updates/ and look in the various folders therein for FinalCutExpress4.0.1Update.pkg. This is about 128 MB in size.

4. Copy that installer .pkg file to your Mavericks computer and double-click.

Presto! This will update your previously installed Final Cut Express 4.0 to Version 4.0.1.

Where can I download Final Cut Express 4.0.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.