Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external monitors make noise when external monitor is connected

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro I have an issue where my external monitors make noise when external monitor is connected at the same time. The second I unplug my secondary monitor from the Thunderbolt port then the sound dissapears. I am assuming its a grounding issue but I went out and bought a power conditioner to plug everything into hoping it would resolve my issue but no luck. Any ideas are always helpful, I will post if I make progress

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, 750gb HHD, i7

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 10:28 AM

Looks like I found the answer to my own problem. I tried to isolate the monitors power from the same power source of the speakers and had no luck. I then decided I had enough spare power cords for the monitor/speakers laying around that I would just break the third plug (ground) off the monitors power cord (the side that plugs into the wall. Well sure as sh#t this worked and the noise is gone. The additional ground was creating noise as expected.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2013 10:28 AM in response to rcchristo

Looks like I found the answer to my own problem. I tried to isolate the monitors power from the same power source of the speakers and had no luck. I then decided I had enough spare power cords for the monitor/speakers laying around that I would just break the third plug (ground) off the monitors power cord (the side that plugs into the wall. Well sure as sh#t this worked and the noise is gone. The additional ground was creating noise as expected.

external monitors make noise when external monitor is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.