Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost my iMac connection to the Internet. Oddly, I still have Internet access from my iPad thru my imac's router. Any suggestions for reconnecting my iMac to the Internet?

I lost my Internet access on my iMac. I still have Internet access on my iPad thru the computers router. Anyone know how I can regain the Internet access on my desktop iMac? TY

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 12:36 PM

4 replies

Aug 28, 2013 11:36 AM in response to Helen151

Hello Helen151,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I would recommend these steps from the article named OS X Mountain Lion: Solve problems found here http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11441

Problems connecting to the Internet

If you can’t connect to the Internet, there may be a problem with your cables, your devices, your network settings, or your Internet service.

• First, try using Network Diagnostics, which can diagnose and resolve most problems.
  • If your router is an AirPort Base Station, open AirPort Utility and choose Help > AirPort Utility Help.
  • If your router is from a manufacturer other than Apple, refer to the router’s documentation.
  • Make sure you have the correct settings for your type of connection. Open the Network pane of System Preferences and check the status of each network service, such as Ethernet, Bluetooth, and AirPort. The network service you are using should have a green indicator and the word “Connected.”To view more information about your network service, click to highlight it. For additional help, click the “Assist me” button.

Regards,

Sterling

Aug 28, 2013 5:41 PM in response to Eric Root

I've been using my iMac 24" since 2008 with a Linksys Wireless Router; I recently decided to upgrade to the 'Airport Express' and since then I've had nothing but unstable internet connection with the iMac, however my iBook, Mac Book Air, iPad and two iPhones seemed like they were not affected.

I've spent some hours talking with my Internet Service Provider: GCI in Alaska, made a special trip picked up new Cables (2); made another trip for replacing Cable Modem. At the point I contacted Apple must have on the phone for an hour very helpful too.

I thought I'd cracked it with my iBook G4 seemed to run tests fawlessly, then it happened could not complete 'Upload Test'.

Decided to Reinstall OS on the iMac thinking some files had gotten scambled with the Linksys and Airport settings, what a pain that was; however I got a connection and surprisingly it worked for a while (not sure the hours) but I did three 'Speed Tests' in succession "perfect"!

The sad news is yesterday it resurfaced; Internet droped connection; as I have 'Network Diagnostics" Window opening so I see the Green/Amber/Red alteration. ;-(

Today I hooked up my 9 year old Linksys Access Point Router 2.4 Ghz, with Ethernet and No Worries!

The 'Airport Express' has been disconnected and service will delayed until new OS arrival. ;-)

Message was edited by: gillfoto

I lost my iMac connection to the Internet. Oddly, I still have Internet access from my iPad thru my imac's router. Any suggestions for reconnecting my iMac to the Internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.