Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leaving my Mac Plugged in?

Hey guys, I have a few question about my MacBook Air. I recently got a new Mac for the 4th time but this time I got a notebook the past years I owned Desktops so I do not know that much about the battery, I know what charge cycles are but, is it fine to leave my computer plugged in all the time? I heard that new batteries do not get overcharged so Im not worried about that. My friends however told me that if I want to reduce the amount of charge cycles I should keep it plugged in but deplete a whole charge once in a while? Is this true or will keeping a battery full for a long time like a week or so damage the battery? Im trying to keep this computer in good condition like always with all of my products Im just a little too sensative with electronics. I do some work on my air like slight video editing and Photoshopping when I am not home I use Adobe Premiere CS6, After Effects CS6 and Photoshop CS6, when I render a video it depletes the battery which is annoying so I was wondering If I should plug the computer in during renders. I know I shouldnt be doing video edits on a Air but I dont have a choice sometimes.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 3:27 PM

7 replies

Aug 26, 2013 3:43 PM in response to jonathanmbpx

NEVER let your Air die from lack of power, not due to battery, but doing same can cause a file corruption.

LiPo (lithium polymer, same as in your Air) batteries do not need conditioning. However...

LiPo batteries do NOT like to be dropped to close to 0% Try to keep it above 10% or so, and drop it to 10% or less as little as possible.

Contrary to what some might say here, LIPo batteries have an "ideal" break in period. First ten cycles or so, don't discharge down past 40% of the battery's capacity.

Same way you dont take a new car out and speed and rev the engine hard first 100 or so miles.

*Cycle count / use/ lifespan is one thing that cant be countered.

Proper treatment is another.Just because LiPo batteries dont need conditioning in general, does NOT mean they dont have an ideal use / recharge environment. 😊

Leaving my Mac Plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.