Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any complaints with FCPX 10.0.9?

I'm still running 10.0.5 and happy with it. I read some things that concerned me with 10.0.6 so I didn't upgrade. Is it time to move to 10.0.9? Are there problems upgrading when you have a lot of projects? At one time people were saying that installing in that case would cause problems when FCPX tries to convert your projects to the new version. Comments?

Thanks

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 12GB RAM, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4s

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 6:09 PM

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

I'm still running 10.0.5 and happy with it. I read some things that concerned me with 10.0.6 so I didn't upgrade.

If you're happy, that's probably what's most important. But…

10.0.6 was a major revision of the software, and one that was widely praised when it was relelased. I won't list the features you've missed out on, but you should be awsre of what they are/

? At one time people were saying that installing in that case would cause problems when FCPX tries to convert your projects to the new version. Comments?

Thanks

Yikes! Who are these people?. Back up your old versions so you can revert back if necessary.

Anyway, 10.0.9 is working fine here.

Russ

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2013 6:09 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

Alfredo Jahn wrote:

I'm still running 10.0.5 and happy with it. I read some things that concerned me with 10.0.6 so I didn't upgrade.

If you're happy, that's probably what's most important. But…

10.0.6 was a major revision of the software, and one that was widely praised when it was relelased. I won't list the features you've missed out on, but you should be awsre of what they are/

? At one time people were saying that installing in that case would cause problems when FCPX tries to convert your projects to the new version. Comments?

Thanks

Yikes! Who are these people?. Back up your old versions so you can revert back if necessary.

Anyway, 10.0.9 is working fine here.

Russ

Aug 26, 2013 6:35 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks

This forum... Thanks for the info.

When you say backup your old version do you mean the version of FCPX?

Aug 26, 2013 7:10 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

One problem you will have, and has been reported to me often, is if you install an effect (effect, generator, title or transition) that has been created by a newer version of Motion (than the corresponding version of Motion that went with FCPX 10.0.5 -- I *believe* that would be Motion 5.0.4) it will not work. The effect will show up in the Effects browser, but it will be "empty" (thumbnail will be black and applying it to the storyline will do nothing.)

YMMV

It's really recommended that you stay up to date with the latest version of FCPX.

Aug 26, 2013 8:45 PM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

One problem you will have, and has been reported to me often, is if you install an effect (effect, generator, title or transition) that has been created by a newer version of Motion (than the corresponding version of Motion that went with FCPX 10.0.5 -- I *believe* that would be Motion 5.0.4) it will not work. The effect will show up in the Effects browser, but it will be "empty" (thumbnail will be black and applying it to the storyline will do nothing.)

Doesn't FCPX update your stuff as part of the update? LIke other updates when it "updates your library"? That would suck if all my transitions would be broken. Can anyone else confirm this? I currently don't own Motion or Compressor, just FCPX.

Just to add, I have only used the effects, titles, etc., that are built into FCPX.

Thanks

Aug 26, 2013 10:18 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

I keep up to date on all my software. When I create effects for FCPX with the newer versions of Motion, a lot of people still using versions of FCPX 10.0.6 and older report that the effects do not work. What I'm saying is: there was a significant change in both Motion and FCPX on the 10.0.6 update. Older effects will work on newer versions of FCPX, but the reverse is not likely to be true.

As long as you stay with the effects that came with FCPX, you shouldn't have any problems. One the other hand, I think you're missing out on a lot. There's a lot of very creative free effects available out there, and you don't need to have Motion (or Compressor) to take advantage of them. If you feel like trying some of them and you find they don't work, you will know the reason why. There will still be plenty available that will work with 10.0.5 and earlier.

[ http://www.fcp.co/forum/9-free-fcpx-plugins-and-templates ]

Any complaints with FCPX 10.0.9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.