Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime on home wi-fi slow, jerky

I have a pretty fast set up with cable modem and pay extra for the highest speed offered. Yet FaceTime video on my Mac is extremely jerky and often freezes. My Mac is a 2008 Mac Pro with 6GB ram, running Lion. What's the solution?

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 5:04 PM

2 replies

Aug 27, 2013 9:40 AM in response to Jeffrey Perlman

FaceTime for Mac: Troubleshooting FaceTime

Particularly if you have not restarted your entire system for a long time, restarting your entire communications link may also help. Shut down everything and then restart your modem, router, wireless access point (if it is a separate device), and computer in order. Let every device complete its power-on self-test before restarting the next device.

You can also check the actual speed available to you by using Speedtest.net. Do not have any other internet connected apps (like email, etc.) open while you do the test. If your Speedtest shows speeds much lower than you expect, someone may be pirating bandwidth from your wi-fi, or, perhaps, other people sharing your network are using computers or connected games while you try to FaceTime.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.4

FaceTime on home wi-fi slow, jerky

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.