Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is my video card done?

okay, the screen kinda flicks, wherever I put the cursor goes from black squares to a few coloured squares, whatever I was trying to open, like applications so I could get in and run a check, just opens in a black box. I can' t see anything. I have some of the top line, some of it does not come in so I have to push and hold to shut down and restart. I have done this several times, letting the whole thing "cool off" not that the mac is giving off heat, just a thought.

Everytime I start, my mail comes in, that I can see just fine, anything else just opens in a black box and I ahve tried waiting to see if the box would come in, but after an hour the last try, all I can get are still the black boxes so I can't see what's in the box. I am just wondering if this sounds like a hardware problem or a hack job.

thanks,

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 8:21 PM

1 reply

Aug 29, 2013 6:47 AM in response to betty233

Hey betty233,

The first thing I'd do is reset the PRAM and SMC. Click on the following links for instructions:

Reset the system

You can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.

Then if that doesn't work, I'd continue on with the troubleshooting in this article and go through every step:

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1573

Have a good one,

Delgadoh

is my video card done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.