Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme IP

I just purchased a brand-new airport extreme (AE) and I am trying to connect it to an Internet service provider called Simply Bits. They installed an antenna on my roof and provide Internet service via an ethernet cable that comes in through my wall. It works fine if I plug directly into the ethernet port on a PC laptop but I can't get an internet connection through the AE. The error messages state that I don't have an IP address and don't have DNS numbers. I can get DNS numbers from their web site but the IP address is dynamic. I have tried setting it up multiple times including a reboot for the antenna and hard resets on the AE with no luck. The Simply Bits support tech said its a problem with the AE. Are there some special settings for use with this type of service?

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 9:47 PM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2013 10:27 PM in response to Aurora651

From what you describe Simply Bits is using WiMax or something like it.

WiMax uses an integrated antenna and wireless modem with only an Ethernet cable coming into your house. Disconnect that Ethernet cable from your PC and leave it disconnected. Then, find a way to remove power from the WiMax device (see Note below). Allow about a minute for it to reset and "forget" the PC's MAC address. Connect your AirPort Extreme and then power up the WiMax, which should take about a minute to power up and become ready. You should be able to connect then.

The AirPort Extreme requires no particularly unique settings, unfortunately their support webpage is laughably outdated: http://www.simplybits.com/support/faqs/How_do_I_connect_an_Apple_Airport_to_your _service.aspx

Nevertheless, there are no more settings than it shows. Using the current version of AirPort Utility, make the following settings:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Other than giving your AE a name and password that's pretty much it.

Note

The WiMax units I'm familiar with use Power over Ethernet (PoE). Most likely, its power supply resembles a wall-mounted transformer. Make it a habit to power down the WiMax device every time you change what is connected to it.

Aug 27, 2013 7:07 AM in response to John Galt

John,

Thank you for your response, unfortunately it didn't work. Here are the steps I followed.

I unplugged the AE and the power source to the antenna for 10 minutes.

I reconnected the power source to the antenna, waited a few minutes, and plugged the ethernet cable to the AE.

I then did a hard reboot on the AE, created the wireless network , and gave it a name and a password.

I got the same two status messages: "does not have a valid IP" and "no DNS servers."

At this point it showed an IP address of 169.254.30.155.

I entered DNS server numbers from the simply bits website and updated the AE.

The DNS numbers message is gone but I still get the status message about the incorrect IP address. The IP address shown is 169.254.30.155 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. It also shows a LAN IP of 10.0.1.1.

I verified the settings you showed your response though I'm using an iPad for set up.

Under network - it shows create wireless network.

Under Internet connection – it shows DHCP.

Under router mode – it shows DHCP and NAT.

Any ideas?

Aug 27, 2013 11:10 AM in response to Aurora651

It sounds as though you did everything correctly, yet the AirPort Extreme is not receiving an IP address from the WiMax.

It is possible that Simply Bits is "provisioning" its service. In that event they would need to know your AE's MAC (hardware) address. However, I think that's a remote possibility since they should have discussed that with you when they installed their service. It's more likely that resetting your WiMax antenna by powering it down wasn't sufficient to log a new MAC address. Perhaps they must do that from their end.

The only suggestion I have is to contact them again and tell them to either make it work or deinstall their equipment. Yours is a common application and it's not as though you're making an unreasonable request.

While you're at it tell them to update their worthless FAQ. Their webpage clearly states "The Apple Airport is fully compatible with our equipment and service" yet their decade-old configuration screenshots are useless for an iPad, and applicable to perhaps four Macs on the planet. None of them are likely to be in Tucson.

Please let me know how they resolve this.

AirPort Extreme IP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.