Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sent email and it's not in my sent folder

I wrote an email, clicked send and it sent, but it is not in my sent folder. My settings are to save in sent folder. Any ideas why

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 11:37 PM

16 replies

Nov 16, 2013 5:15 PM in response to P3BL3ei

I agree...where are the folks who have answers.

My wife's MB Pro has a few emails in her Sent Folder since upgrading to Mavrick. I've Rebuilt the folder, restarted the machine, mades sure the upgrades are up today. Made sure the box in Preferences; ACCTS; Behavior: store messages on server IS checked (it was and is)...

What to do??

Nov 18, 2013 12:27 PM in response to runtrble

I had the same problem. I sent out seven emails one after another, but when I checked the 'Sent' folder for the email account I was using only three of the messages showed up.

However, when I clicked on the main 'Sent' button (the one that shows sent messages from all my accounts) all the messages showed up.

How could this be when they were all sent from the same account?

Dec 28, 2013 5:09 PM in response to runtrble

There is another thread on this with countless replies. I can't find it just now but in summary, this is a common problem which has been reported over the last 2 years or so. It seems that it is an intermittent problem more common with emails containing attachments.

The only "solution" I know of is to cc emails to yourself.

Personally, I think it beggars belief that Apple haven't resolved this yet. They just don't seem to care.

Feb 3, 2014 8:03 PM in response to runtrble

I called the 800 Apple SOS number, and was referred to a higher level tech. He was helpful, though it took several tries, and call backs, ..he had not heard this before.

Basically:

1. Be sure you have backed up your mail.

2. If all your saved mail is in folders (folders you have put ail I after you answered or just b/c you saved it...historical stuff) on your machine (not just on line), and,

3. You have not set your email to delete on the server right away (for example you don't delete your gmail or other mail for 30-days)...

4. You should be able to delete (-) the account and then add (+) it back, with all your mail there.

If you are on an iPad, you might think of it as if you got a new iPad, and needed to set up your account from scratch.

NOTE: most of my (wife's...this is her Mac Book Pro) important mail is on an exchange server for work. What happens when you deal with your email directly, online with that kind of server may also tell you something about how the problem might be solved. In other words, try and go to the Exchange server for your company.)

ALSO: this happened when I upgraded her computer to Maverick OS. So I have been fearful to upgrade mine..

AGAIN: With all this in mind to help you coach the tech person... I STRONGLY suggest you call the 800# on Apple's support page.

Feb 4, 2014 3:04 PM in response to parsonsgh

I had the same problem that recently sent emails were not showing in my sent folder on an iphone and new ipad mini.

I took your advice and called Apple Support. They walked me through some steps and we went to my service providers mail server and what messages were on the server matched what was in my sent folder on my ipad.

Lesson learned: check with your mail provider's sent email folder to see if it matches what's on your Apple device. Sorry that's the best I've got for you.

I told the Apple support person that this seems to be a long standing issue with mail sent folders but he was not aware of it.

Your advice is probably warranted that people should call Apple about this problem because their support people are not aware of the issue.

Good luck

Mar 28, 2014 6:55 PM in response to runtrble

I suggest testing in a new User. This will eliminate any issues in your User. If it works there we can look at options to fix in your User's folder. However if it fails, then we know it's a problem with your base files.

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

Open Mail.

Enter your account.

Any POP mail you download into the Identity in the test User will not be available unless you set to "leave on server" in Account > Advanced settings

sent email and it's not in my sent folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.