Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large square "pixels" on Macbook pro screen?

I am using a 15 inch 2011 MacBook Pro runningMac OS 10.7.5 and am having some graphics issues on my screen. I have gone to the "genius" bar twice already for this issue and they have taken my laptop to run tests but were not able to recreate the issue and are not willing to do anything about my issue even though I have documented these problems by means of screenshots (but that's a whole other discussion).

After a week of getting my laptop back, I started getting issues again. See images below. They tend to crop up after about a week of not shutting down or restarting and this has been recurring for about 6 months now. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before (the "genius" people seemed pretty stumped when they saw this).

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 2:06 AM

There's a large thread here (somewhere!) concerning GPU problems with the Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro. It sounds as though your problem is intermittent, so I don't know that Apple's diagnostic tests would indicate a failing GPU (but that's certainly what it looks like).

If I were you, I would take the machine back to your local Apple Store/AASP with your screen shots and try to escalate the problem up the food chain - beyond the Genius Bar folks and to the manager on duty if possible.

Good luck,

Clinton

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2013 2:06 AM in response to kristytan

There's a large thread here (somewhere!) concerning GPU problems with the Early 2011 15" MacBook Pro. It sounds as though your problem is intermittent, so I don't know that Apple's diagnostic tests would indicate a failing GPU (but that's certainly what it looks like).

If I were you, I would take the machine back to your local Apple Store/AASP with your screen shots and try to escalate the problem up the food chain - beyond the Genius Bar folks and to the manager on duty if possible.

Good luck,

Clinton

Nov 20, 2013 3:02 PM in response to v0nnie

Hi v0nnie,

My two trips to the genius did not help at all. I am stll getting these issues but I suspect it has something to do with using the thunderbolt to display on my TV. I also find it happens when I disconnect off the power and close the lid of my laptop. Any of these things ring a bell for you?

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this really strange issue that the genius seem to think I made up.

Kristy

Dec 18, 2013 9:59 PM in response to loquitus

I did not find a resolution. I have been meaning to go to the genius bar again and insisting they find a solution (or even the problem!) but have not had the time. Do you use your thunderbolt socket to display on a second monitor? I suspect that this is causing issues for me as I hook up to my TV very often - but I'm not sure how that ties in to the issue you are having after you wake your computer. Maybe it's a hard disk issue? I did a clean reinstall after the first genius visit as she said it was showing as corrupted. This didn't seem to fix the issue though.

Have you brought your macbook to see a "genius" yet?

Please let me know how you go.

Kristy

Dec 18, 2013 10:07 PM in response to kristytan

Hi Kristy.

The battery had started failing about 2 months ago but it said it was not a danger to the machine and just that at some point I'd have to deal with it.

About 2 days ago, I came home to see both the laptop and external screen completely corrupted and covered with garbage like the screenshot I put up on my previous message.

The battery was apparently also done, because now it showed a big X over the battery icon (once I am logged in) saying I have no battery. I took it into the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store. They replaced the battery and did a full set of tests and everything came out ok. So I figured the video was fine, but the very same day I noticed glitches.

I can't say I have ever noticed this glitch happen yet when I do NOT have the external monitor connected, so you could be right.

Dec 18, 2013 10:17 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Did not quite understand the bit about external monitor... I noticed some of this garbage on the external monitor too, not just on the laptop's own screen.

So by GPU, you mean the ATI, not the Intel video chipset?

So if this only happens when waking from sleep it means my GPU going but not gone?

Any idea whatsoever what this means? Replace the motherboard? Just the video "card"? Any even crazy ballpark idea how $$$ this might be?

Last question -- could I somehow just disable the GPU and use the built-in on-board video instead of the GPU?

Dec 18, 2013 10:39 PM in response to loquitus

I cannot quote you a price for many good reasons.

Same on external monitor? Good enough to finalize causation. GPU

You need to make an appt. with Apple for a free diagnostic, as to final repairs if any that is your choice, but you need only make an appt. and drop it off.

Though I used to repair laptops long ago, nobody on this board is going make a final hardware diagnostic determination via an online board discussion, even if things are abundantly clear what is going on.

Peace 😊

Dec 18, 2013 10:46 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Yah I understand... about the questions I asked that can't be answered too easily here.

So the GPU is what connects to the external monitor too, right? If I disabled the GPU and went with the Intel video, I would not get the external monitor support?

Curious -- why did you suggest that if this happens only when waking from sleep that it is a GPU failure issue? Wouldn't this phenomenon happen even when the machine was running and not sleeping?

BTW. I had the battery fail on me at the same time I first saw this problem happen. I came home and screen on both the laptop and external display was totally garbage. Powered down and restarted the machine. It said no battery (X on battery). Still got glitches. Seems glitches are LESS or maybe never even happening if I am not connected to the external monitor, but I am not certain of this. The machine was rebooting randomly at this point.

Took the machine to Apple Store's genius bar and they replaced the dead battery. Power wise, machine is good now and starts up and does not restart on its own. But I noticed the graphics glitchiness despite the battery replacement.

Not sure if this battery failure issue caused the GPU issue or if this is just some coincidence. I never recall seeing this GPU issue before.

Oh yah. The Genius Bar guy did a full diagnostic test (you hold down H or something when you start the machine). Everything checked out. Even video. Just an FYI.

Dec 18, 2013 10:59 PM in response to loquitus

Everything checked out because you current have an intermittent problem.

Wouldn't this phenomenon happen even when the machine was running and not sleeping?

No, in cases of failing RAM, GPU as well can easily manifest, irritatingly, in a sporadic fashion.

This is the kind of thing that frustrates simplex diagnostics and repairs.

verify your screen capture and details at time of appt. for full clarity of your issue.

Large square "pixels" on Macbook pro screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.