Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 9.0.4 Video Soundtrack

Hi,

If I lower the speed (e.g. 100 % to 80 %) of a video clip, it slows the soundtrack at the same time and consequently distorts this.

How can I retain the original soundtrack?

I have tried to separate the soundtrack from the movie, but even if I use the entire length the sound is still distorted (lowered).

Any help will be much appreciated.

THL

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 11:34 AM

I am not sure if you have tried this, but if you haven't, try the steps below. You might want to duplicate your project first so that you can test it out on the duplicate without affecting your original project. To duplicate your project, right click on your project when in the Project Library and select Duplicate.

1. Select the clip in the project so that it has the yellow boarder around the whole clip.
  2. Go to the Clip menu at the top of the screen and selecte Detach Audio. You should now see a purple bar that represents the audio under your clip.
  3. Now just select the video clip and you can either go to Clip>Slow Motion or adjust the speed. This should only adjust the video speed.

I hope this helps!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2013 11:34 AM in response to thlmuc

I am not sure if you have tried this, but if you haven't, try the steps below. You might want to duplicate your project first so that you can test it out on the duplicate without affecting your original project. To duplicate your project, right click on your project when in the Project Library and select Duplicate.

1. Select the clip in the project so that it has the yellow boarder around the whole clip.
  2. Go to the Clip menu at the top of the screen and selecte Detach Audio. You should now see a purple bar that represents the audio under your clip.
  3. Now just select the video clip and you can either go to Clip>Slow Motion or adjust the speed. This should only adjust the video speed.

I hope this helps!

Sep 2, 2013 4:11 AM in response to BackgammonThatUp

Thank you very much!

What would people like me do without the help of the wizards?

But now I have a new problem:

I am working on a DVD and wanted to drop some music and replace it by a different sound.

All of a sudden the new music won't play, not give a sound. I have gone through everything, compared and cannot find the failure.

The bar that indicateds the soundlevel is black. User uploaded file

Can anyone help me again, please! I am stuck.

Sep 3, 2013 2:29 PM in response to thlmuc

When was the last time you closed iMovie? I notice that if iMovie is open for long periods of times, it might act funny. In general, I try to close iMovie once an hour so that it saves all the information and then just reopen it and continue where I left off.

Try closing and reopening iMovie, and see if this helps.

If you are seeing the same issue after quitting and relaunching iMovie, try adding music to a different project and see if that project has audio. If it works with another project, there might be an issue with the project where the audio won't play. If that's the case, you could try duplicating the project and adding the audio to the duplicate and continue with the duplicate.

Good luck!

Sep 8, 2013 3:42 AM in response to BackgammonThatUp

Thanks Backgammon!

Sorrry for late reply.

I found that the sound was not working in that particular project, it worked in other projects.

I did make a duplicate, but it took the failure along. I then took out the video clips and restarted. When putting back the video clips and adding a soundtrack it worked fine. And so it has since !!! Whatever I did, I don't know, but it corrupted the video clips.

Now all is fine again and I am happy.

Thanks very much.

Sep 17, 2013 1:35 PM in response to thlmuc

Oh good! Glad to hear you're back on track!

One thing I've noticed about iMovie is that I have less weird stuff happen if I close the application at least once an hour. If I'm working on a project for several hours, I try to close and reopen iMovie about once an hour. When I keep iMovie open for long periods of time, then unexpected things sometimes happen.

iMovie 9.0.4 Video Soundtrack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.