Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro - Considering return due to heat

Hello,

I bought a new 2.7Ghz Retinal MacBook Pro from the Apple store two days ago. I am very happy with it besides one thing: CPU temperature. I have installed a temperature monitoring program which shows that the CPU idles at about 65-70 Celsius. When I stress the machine it will spike to over 105 Celsius.

It is well ventilated in a cooler stand. I can combat this by raising the base fan speed to 3000RPM (from the default 2000RPM) using a fan controller App. However I'm concerned that a product I have just bought new is harmfully raising it's internal chips temperature to over 100 degrees. This cannot be expected; what values should I be reading? It seems this points to either sub-standard thermal paste application or possibly heatsink machining?

I'd feel comfortable replacing the thermal compound from the factory with arctic silver, but I don't see why I should void my warranty two days out of purchase by doing this.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 4:43 AM

Spotlight Indexing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3721

You can return a new Mac within 14 days of purchase.

A new Mac comes with 90 days of free tech support from AppleCare.

AppleCare: 1-800-275-2273

Call AppleCare. If this does not help, return the computer.

Best.

1 reply

New MacBook Pro - Considering return due to heat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.