Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to apply multiple automator workflows to one file

Hi everyone,

I've set up a few workflow applications to automate the process of making packshots from PDF files. The way those roughly work is they create a temporary copy in a folder, open a Photoshop droplet that executes all the actions on the file, and then save the finished product in a "finished" folder.

However, we frequently need to deliver multiple packshots made from the same file. I was asked to make one automator app that allowed us to drop the PDF version on it, resulting in the multiple types of packshots in the "finished" folder, together with the original PDF.

The way I have this set up right now is as follows:

1) Copy the original PDF file to the "finished" folder

2) Execute the first automator app

3) Execute the second automator app

This seems simple enough, and does work in 10.6.8. When I try it on a different computer in our studio though, with 10.7 installed, I get various errors:

- Sometimes it says an error occured within one of the automator apps, while the app works fine when running it seperately (on all computers).

- Sometimes it says something like "An error occurred while converting the data" when moving on from the first application to the second application

- Sometimes I'll get an error message in the log, saying:

*** -[_NSArrayl objectAtIndex:]: index 0 beyond bounds for empty array

What I got from this is that it's actually not getting the right input it requires (or not getting any input, since it's an empty array). However, the previous task is set to "return the task input" (our systems are Dutch so excuse me for any discrepancies in translations please), and the resulting output that I get seems to be what I want the next automator application to use. Below is a screenshot of the error message:

User uploaded file

What I've tried:

- I read somewhere that the newer versions of Automator require the action "Retrieve selected finder items" between them. I've tried using this in various ways (between all other actions/tasks, only before the second application to be run and before both applications to be run), but with no success. The problem I have with these is that, during the applications, it moves the files around, thus apparently selecting those folders as well.

- Building an entirely new workflow on the newer system

- Using "Start application" instead of "Execute Automator workflow". This results in Automator saying that it did execute the workflow while nothing happened.

- Using "Ignore input" for the second application. This also results in Automator saying that it executed the workflow while nothing happened.

So right now, I'm pretty stumped as to how to get this combination of apps to work in 10.7. Any solutions or workarounds are most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 6:22 AM

There are no replies.

How to apply multiple automator workflows to one file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.