Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer bar gone

Hello dear Apple friends,

yesterday I went to an amusement park and went into a ride in which you could get wet. I forgot to take my iPhone out of my pocket. Even though I didn't really get wet (just damp) I assumed nothing was wrong.

I only discovered this morning that the ringer bar is missing. I have no sound at all and when I try to make it louder or softer using the side buttons, only the text "ringer" appears but no bar.

Yes, I am sure that it's not in silent mode so don't ask.

I tried (and I know I shouldn't) putting it in the sun (it actually rang once when someone sent me a message, but once I got to retrieve it it didn't work again) and I tried drying the pin connector (you never know). The last thing actually works when I unlock it (it makes the unlocking sound) and I can control the volume for about 2 seconds, but then it disappears again.

Can anyone help me and please tell me what's going on? Is there a fix?

Also: earplugs work, Skype works too (without earplugs), and when I go to settings to listen to ringtones, that also works.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 6:26 AM

1 reply

Aug 27, 2017 7:46 PM in response to EtienneH

Sounds like the ringer switch is broken, and jamming it permanently on "mute". This can happen if water gets into the switch.

Alternatively there is an internal workaround but not at all intuitive:

GO: Settings / General / Accessibility / AssitiveTouch . When you switch on AssitiveTouch you will get an interactive dot that hangs on your screen at all times. The dot brings up a menu where you can quickly go: Device / Mute. You can therefore override your faulty ringer switch whenever you like. This works on the latest OS10.3.3 but probably others as well.

<Edited by Host>

Ringer bar gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.