Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to completely remove WebRoot from my Macbook Air and cannot. Please point me in the right direction<

I have purchased another security system for my Mackbook Air and my required PC. I now cannot remove Webroot security from my Mac. It responds to me that I do not have "the authority.....", cannot because "it is in use elsewhere", etc. I am using Finder and when I ask to move the application, Finder asks me for my authority password and acts like it is doing the job, but up pops the reason (above) why I can't. I'm not an experienced user of the Mac product but like it a lot. Hopefully, someone can give me a hint. Thanks in advance!

rmb

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 6:18 AM

Here is a fix to uninstall. As always be careful with Sudo commands.

sudo su

(enter your password)

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.webroot.security.mac.plist

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/SecureAnywhere.kext

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/WSDaemon

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/WFDaemon

sudo killall -9 WSDaemon

sudo killall -9 WfDaemon

sudo killall -9 "Webroot SecureAnywhere"

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/SecureAnywhere.kext

sudo rm -rf "/Applications/Webroot SecureAnywhere.app"

sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.webroot.WRMacApp.plist

sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.webroot.security.mac.plist

Some items may display errors, that's ok. Once complete, reboot the system and WSA will be removed. Please do not share these commands on the community, SUDO commands entered incorrectly may cause further issues.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2014 6:18 AM in response to rmbanton

Here is a fix to uninstall. As always be careful with Sudo commands.

sudo su

(enter your password)

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.webroot.security.mac.plist

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/SecureAnywhere.kext

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/WSDaemon

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/WFDaemon

sudo killall -9 WSDaemon

sudo killall -9 WfDaemon

sudo killall -9 "Webroot SecureAnywhere"

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/SecureAnywhere.kext

sudo rm -rf "/Applications/Webroot SecureAnywhere.app"

sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.webroot.WRMacApp.plist

sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.webroot.security.mac.plist

Some items may display errors, that's ok. Once complete, reboot the system and WSA will be removed. Please do not share these commands on the community, SUDO commands entered incorrectly may cause further issues.

Aug 27, 2013 12:48 PM in response to rmbanton

Any third-party software that doesn't install by drag-and-drop into the Applications folder, and uninstall by drag-and-drop to the Trash, is a system modification.

Whenever you remove system modifications, they must be removed completely, and the only way to do that is to use the uninstallation tool, if any, provided by the developers, or to follow their instructions. If the software has been incompletely removed, you may have to re-download or even reinstall it in order to finish the job.

Here are some general guidelines. Suppose you want to remove something called “BrickYourMac.” First, consult the product's Help menu, if there is one, for instructions. Finding none there, look on the developer's website, say www.brickyourmac.com. (That may not be the actual name of the site; if necessary, search the Web for the product name.) If you don’t find anything on the website or in your search, contact the developer. While you're waiting for a response, download BrickYourMac.dmg and open it. There may be an application in there such as “Uninstall BrickYourMac.” If not, open “BrickYourMac.pkg” and look for an Uninstall button.

You may have to log out or reboot in order to complete an uninstallation.

If you can’t remove software in any other way, you’ll have to erase your boot volume and perform a clean reinstallation of OS X. Never install any third-party software unless you're sure you know how to uninstall it; otherwise you may create problems that are very hard to solve.

Trying to remove complex system modifications by hunting for files by name often will not work and may make the problem worse. The same goes for "utilities" that purport to remove software.

I need to completely remove WebRoot from my Macbook Air and cannot. Please point me in the right direction<

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.