Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync music to my ipod without losing my music already downloaded? Also, can I delete songs from Itunes, and not lose them on my ipod?, thanks

How do I sync my ipod without losing all my other music on my ipod classic? Also can I delete songs from itunes, without losing them on my ipod? Thanks

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 8:38 AM

Hello xcmmx1982,

This can be done by setting the iPod to sync manually, as detailed in the following article. Not only will this allow you to add and remove media at will, you can also rest assured that deleting content from your computer will in no way affect the media stored on the iPod.

Using iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202

Cheers,

Allen

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2013 8:38 AM in response to xcmmx1982

Hello xcmmx1982,

This can be done by setting the iPod to sync manually, as detailed in the following article. Not only will this allow you to add and remove media at will, you can also rest assured that deleting content from your computer will in no way affect the media stored on the iPod.

Using iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202

Cheers,

Allen

May 30, 2015 9:39 AM in response to alyisdabest

Too late to recover your media from the device if you've let it get wiped. Others may have success with this link: Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

For iTunes purchases see Download past purchases from iTunes in the Cloud - Apple Support. Other stores like Amazon have similar services. For your CD rips use a backup of your previous computer or rerip the discs.

For the future see Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy.

tt2

Nov 8, 2016 8:08 AM in response to xcmmx1982

I hope you were able to solve it with this explanation. For how advanced Apple is in so many things, their music options are pitiful. I lose playlists every time I change phones or sync. I've tried to click manual, but obviously there's more to it than that, as I just lost a bunch of songs from my playlists AGAIN. NOT user friendly!

How do I sync music to my ipod without losing my music already downloaded? Also, can I delete songs from Itunes, and not lose them on my ipod?, thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.