Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use iTunes music for customer DVD

Hi

A customer has asked me to edit some footage from camcorder tapes for her and put them on a DVD with some background music. The tracks she has asked for she does not have and has asked me to get them for her.

As I am only producing a single DVD for her and will get the appropriate licence in the UK from the MCPS/PRS, can I purchase the music from iTunes or should I buy the CDs.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 11:46 AM

Purchased is purchased, regardless if it's a track or a whole CD. As long as you have proof of purchase and license to use it, I'd think it's better from a financial standpoint to not purchase an entire CD if you're only using one or two tracks from it. Likewise, you'll have to digitally convert the CD, so buying the tracks from iTunes cuts out a step.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2013 11:46 AM in response to AppleMacCider

Purchased is purchased, regardless if it's a track or a whole CD. As long as you have proof of purchase and license to use it, I'd think it's better from a financial standpoint to not purchase an entire CD if you're only using one or two tracks from it. Likewise, you'll have to digitally convert the CD, so buying the tracks from iTunes cuts out a step.

Aug 27, 2013 11:59 AM in response to varjak paw

So, if I understand you, I can buy a set of tracks from iTunes, burn them to a CD using another app, delete the purchased tracks from my Library and my hard drive, and then import them from the CD I burned, and AT THAT POINT the licensing terms for the music change because they are no longer "purchased from the iTunes store" as far as ANY technology can differentiate, but rather from a CD I own (regardless of how I came to own it)?

Or are you saying that DRM remains intact throughout the entire process and I'm violating terms (or the law) if I lend a CD to someone that I burned from iTunes purchases?

If not, I stand on my statement: Purchased IS purchased... at least it is in the U.S. according to the DMCA.

Aug 27, 2013 12:08 PM in response to C F McBlob

Thanks to everyone for their quick replies. I thought it would be the case even if in the UK that the music is for personal use only. So, for my customer they need to own the CDs or iTunes track.

Editing footage in FCP X and producing a DVD would probably be better using a Music CD as the quality should be better. However, the CD will have a load of tracks on it that they won't need, so buying individual tracks seems a better option.

Thanks again

Matt

Aug 27, 2013 12:17 PM in response to C F McBlob

I can buy a set of tracks from iTunes, burn them to a CD using another app, delete the purchased tracks from my Library and my hard drive, and then import them from the CD I burned, and AT THAT POINT the licensing terms for the music change because they are no longer "purchased from the iTunes store" as far as ANY technology can differentiate, but rather from a CD I own (regardless of how I came to own it)?

No, you cannot do that. The licensing you agree to when you purchase from the iTunes Store remains in effect regardless of how you are storing the tracks.

Or are you saying that DRM remains intact throughout the entire process and I'm violating terms (or the law) if I lend a CD to someone that I burned from iTunes purchases?

You are violating the terms of sale if you lend the CD to anyone else. You are also violating the law if you allow the person to keep the tracks.

If not, I stand on my statement: Purchased IS purchased... at least it is in the U.S. according to the DMCA.

Your statement is still wrong. You are contractually prohibited from using any content purchased from the iTunes Store for anything other than your own personal use. You can read the iTunes Store terms of sale for yourself (for the US, since you mention that country, but all the other stores have the same terms):

http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html#SALE

The DMCA does not come into play in this matter, this being an issue of licensing, not copyright or DRM.

Regards.

Aug 27, 2013 12:54 PM in response to C F McBlob

C F McBlob wrote:

Well, I sure hope a bunch of thugs from Cupertino don't come "a knockin' on my door"

It's not the "thugs from Cupertino" who would come "a knockin'.

It is the copyright owners who would.

to tell me what I can or can't do with MY MUSIC.

It's not YOUR music. You simply have a license to use it (in accordance with the copyright, which gives you limited use and rights to copy)

If it was YOUR music (you owned the copright), you could make copies and sell them as CF McBlob's Greatest Hits on iTunes, Amazon, Walmart, wherever.

Use iTunes music for customer DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.