Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing BootCamp Windows 7 iso from USB

Hi,

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 15", running full specs.

I'm trying to instal the iso file I have from my school and install it through BootCamp for programs I need in Windows. Here's what I've done so far;

-Downloaded Windows Support Software BootCamp 5.0.5033 zip file onto a 32gb flash drive.

-Moved the Windows 7 Ultimate iso file onto the usb flash drive

My problem now lies in that fact that I have tried to unzip and use the setup file (In the folder Bootcamp > setup.exe) in Bootcamp on my older Windows XP laptop. When I run the setup file I get a dialog stating "G:\BootCamp5.0.5033\BootCamp\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 appliation" Is there a way to run this on the XP computer, or will i have to find a different Windows computer and what process is needed to finialize the setup of Windows on my mac.

Could you please direct me to the solution that will allow me to start bootcamp setup on my mac and have the usb recongnized as an istallation disk. Thanks a bunch.

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 12:51 PM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2013 1:19 PM in response to camerondtaylor

How do I use the Boot Camp 5 Support Software I downloaded from the web page?

1. The download file is a .zip file. Double click it to uncompress it.
  2. Double-click the Boot Camp disk image.
  3. Copy the Boot Camp and "$WinPEDriver$" folders to the root level of a USB flash drive or hard drive that is formatted with the FAT file system (see question below for steps on how to format).
  4. Install Windows, leaving the flash or hard drive attached to the USB port of your Mac.
  5. Installation of the drivers can take a few minutes. Don't interrupt the installation process. A completion dialog box will appear when everything is installed. Click Finish when the dialog appears.
  6. When your system restarts your Windows 8 installation is done.
Note: If the flash drive or hard drive was not attached when you installed Windows and was inserted after restarting into Windows 8, double-click the Boot Camp folder, then locate and double click the "setup.exe" file to start the installation of the Boot Camp 5 Support Software.

How do I format USB media to the FAT file system?
Use Disk Utility to format a disk to use with a Windows computer. Here's how:

Important: Formatting a disk erases all the files on it. Copy any files you want to save to another disk before formatting the disk.

1. Open Disk Utility.
  2. Select the disk you want to format for use with Windows computers.
  3. Click Erase, and choose one of the following from the Format pop-up menu:
    • If the size of the disk is 32 GB or less, choose MS-DOS (FAT).
    • If the size of the disk is over 32 GB, choose ExFAT.
  4. Type a name for the disk. The maximum length is 11 characters.
  5. Click the Erase button and then click Erase again.

Boot Camp Assistant: Install Windows on Mac worked like a charm very first time.

1. Use the Boot Camp Assistant, not Disk Utility, to set up your drive. You will need to start with one partition (not including the 10.8 recovery partition, that's different). **** near everyone I know that's had serious issues with getting BC set up was NOT using the Boot Camp Assistant, and therefore their drive was not properly set up.
  2. Windows 7 SP1 x64 .iso file, in my case, was located on the desktop of the Retina MBP, as I'd placed it there earlier.
  3. Plug >4GB USB stick in one of the USB slots. Mine was a USB 2 stick.
  4. After making sure that I had a network connection, I left all three checkboxes checked. The Boot Camp Assistant recognized both my USB stick and the iso image on its own.
  5. After building the install iso on the stick (pretty slow process), it then downloaded the drivers from Apple and saved those to the stick. This required authentication.
  6. It then let me choose the size of the partition, partitioned the drive and rebooted to the USB stick. I've seen this fail if you have two USB sticks plugged in for some reason.
  7. Once it rebooted into the installer, I was eventually presented with a list of partition. Per the documentation, I selected the one named 'BOOTCAMP' and reformatted it NTFS. Once it finished that, the install did it's thing.

Really, it was that simple, and pretty much the same process for every other machine I have ever needed to run Windows on. I have heard stories of people having problems when using drives (especially SSDs) that were not factory standard.

For more information about using Boot Camp, please visit www.apple.com/support/bootcamp

Aug 27, 2013 3:38 PM in response to The hatter

I have a few additional questions;

1. When I uncompress the zip file I don't understand what the Boot Camp disk image is. I have not been able to setup any partitions or anything from the boot camp utility. I do not see anything except the boot camp folder that was just unzipped.

2. After I've done steps 1-3, when I install windows would I do it normally as if I had a CD? or is there additional steps to instal it from the usb which now has the iso file, the Boot Camp folder, the $WinPEDriver$ in the root level of the USB.

Once I get the windows setup going (ie, after I've partitioned the drive and had Mac recognize the USB as the file from which to install the OS) I will be in good shape.

Thanks for the reply

Dec 10, 2013 5:45 PM in response to camerondtaylor

I have a solution for that.

If you have a PC you can download the iso file with that and transfer it to your mac with a USB drive .

Here is how.

1.Download the .exe file to instal Windows 7 or 8 ....

2.choose download by creating media .

3. Enter product key (when asked)

4. Choose iso file .... It will take a while to download

the files.... but youll end up with a win 8 or 7 iso image file ...

Finally put that in a usb drive and transfer it to your mac ...

thats what i did ...

Here is the video version i did of this proccess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFxhn_Cs64I

I hope it helps ... Let me know if you have any questions ...

Reply here or in the video ..

Installing BootCamp Windows 7 iso from USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.