Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed apple-id, now cant download apps

Hi, I've just recently changed my apple-id via the apple website (manage your apple-id) pages and the edit/change button next to your apple-id.

After I did the change I cant seem to download the updates or new apps from apple app store.

The message I get is that the apps arent approved by my apple-id, they are already connected to another apple-id and will be visible under the bought tab under that id.

The thing is, since Ive changed the apple-id I can no longer login to my old one that the apps are connected to.

I know that you cant create a new apple-id and hope to transfer everything over, but I thought that you could change it through the apple website.

Does anyone know what Im doing/done wrong? is it supposed to work this way?

Thanks from an otherwise happy apple-lover,

Nicklas

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 2:33 PM

9 replies

Aug 14, 2017 11:15 AM in response to NickeZ28

The best way round this is delete the apps from the iPad and then download them again using your new apple id and password. It works if you just search for the app update, and then it wont charge for the app agains. And of course may apps are free anyway.

Aug 27, 2013 2:56 PM in response to NickeZ28

Nicklas ...

Apple's policy states that content from one Apple ID account cannot be merged with another > Frequently asked questions about Apple ID.

In other words, purchased media cannot be transferred from one account to another.

Updates can only be done from logging in with the Apple ID they were downloaded from intitially. Same policy for re downloading previously purchased apps.

So, contact Apple and see if they can give you some help on this > Contacting Apple for support and service

Aug 27, 2013 11:33 PM in response to Dah•veed

Yeah Dah•veed

Thats exactly what I did, and my emailaddress/apple id is not one that ends with "

@icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com"

So I guess the term for it is changing the primary emailaddress for your apple-id ?

Here's the deal, full story:

I bought a used Macbook Air for my sis the other week. She hasnt had any contact before with Macs or OSX. She uses her iphone4s only with her apple-id. Im whiping the macbook air clean and reinstall the osx using apple recovery tool, everything all good (as usually with macs).. and setting the fresh install up with the same apple-id that she got on her iphone.

And when I try to download the apps that come free with osx mountain lion (iphoto, garageband and some other) I get the "These apps have already been approved for another apple-id and can be downloaded again using that apple-id/account".. But, as Im writing this now, it strikes me :

Are those apps tied to the previous owner of the macbook air and his/her apple-id? so that I cant download them using my/sis's apple-id ? (allthough its a completely new user/owner with a new apple-id)

Back to the problem 1, I guess I've managed to change the primary email address/login for the apple-id, but if the above question is true, that wont help me download the apps from appstore (iphoto, garageband and so on). and I figgured that was because I did change the primary email it got messed up.

Sorry for the long reply, Im trying to go through this as thoroughly as I can.

Thanks,

Niklas

Aug 28, 2013 4:25 AM in response to NickeZ28

Are those apps tied to the previous owner of the macbook air and his/her apple-id? so that I cant download them using my/sis's apple-id ? (allthough its a completely new user/owner with a new apple-id)

That is exactly the issue. The Mac itself, the OS and the iLife apps are associated with the original owners Apple ID. If you bought it from an individual they need to contact Apple Care and request that their Apple ID be disassociated from this Mac on Apple's servers. If you bought it from a vender, you can likely contact Apple Care with your proof of purchase and have the original ID disassociated from this Mac. Then you should be able to use OS X Recovery to install the iLife apps.

Once the apps are on the Mac, before anyone uses one of the apps, she must open the Mac App Store, sign into her account and then go to the Purchases pane to accept these three apps into her Apple ID.

Changed apple-id, now cant download apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.