Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and Retina Display

Editing pictures with lightroom and photoshop, and not to mention viewing them with the previewer, all look great.

I notice when i upload pictures to forums and view them on the macbook retina, the pictures tend to look pretty bad.

I always sharpen the images when i resize them, so i know that is not the issue. Also, if i drag safari over to my external monitor, the images look fine in safari.

Is there a way of optimising the macbook retina, to view pictures on safari/forums?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 2:20 PM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2013 2:25 PM in response to Jonny Peace

Hi Jonny ..

It's not your retina, it's all computers. Some images render fine, sone don't. There have been recent issues with the forum software that hasn't helped matters but hopefully recent maintenance will improve things.

And, you could try using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome. Other browsers tend to render images differently.

Good to have a backup browser installed just in case you have problems with Safari.

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser

Chrome Browser

Aug 27, 2013 2:43 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for the info. I tried firefox, and it does help a little actually. I never would have expected that.

The image still looks soft, but it's better. It's not this forum i'm talking about however, it's a photography forum i use. I know the pictures are fine, as my external monitor proves this when i drag safari over to the external monitor, and my windows desktop + monitor proves it as well. It's just the retina display screen i see this on.

I know the resized (web sized) version viewed at 100% looks good. This is not a problem at all, and i know the forum image size limitations, so i never breach these.

Safari and Retina Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.