Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

===

Hi,

So i just bought my mid 2011 27 apple imac with 1tb hardrive and it cpu 2.7ghz Last week and its fantastic in every single way (nerly),I bought the computer for for logic pro as it is for stdio use,After one night downloading some third pirty plugins to add to my plugin collection I noticed a kind of rumbling noise comeing from the computers Hardrive not loud quite faint but noticable when im not useing logic, Now I have previously reviewed this on the internet and noticed it is quite common with the 27 inch i mac,Now the noise does not bother me as its faint and apple state that this normal operating sound from the hardrive but I need to make sure as the computer was bought second hand with no warranty left on it so if somebody could help confirm my imac is okay and there is no issue with the computer or the hardrive it would reinsure me and would also make me feel better knowing its all good here is what apple said about this grumbling noise which is what i am getting quite often,

(Hard drives generate audible noises when performing read/write activities. Even when a computer is idle it may be performing background tasks such as Time Machine backups or Spotlight searches that utilize the hard drive. These noises may be described as (GRUMBLING), muffled thudding, or ticking in short bursts, or as a quiet tapping noise like raindrops. These are all normal operating noises and do not indicate an issue. You can verify the health of your hard drive with the Disk Utility application).

so if somebody confirm this is all good buy previous experience with the noise or someone who knows imacs that would be great thanks

iMac, Hardrive Grumbling

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 6:46 PM

All hard drives make noise from time to time. Did you in fact verify its health using Disk Utility? Open DU, click your drive on the left, click Verify Disk. You won't be able to repair the disk while booted from it, so if you see any errors, reboot from your recovery partition (hold cmd-R on startup if you have OS X 10.7 or above; use an installation DVD if 10.6) and use the copy of Disk Utility there to Repair Disk.

Also, whether you have a grumbling hard drive or not, but certainly if you are hearing unusual sounds from a drive, you MUST run backups, either Time Machine or another reliable system. Are you doing so?

Matt

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2013 6:46 PM in response to ChristopherAdams

All hard drives make noise from time to time. Did you in fact verify its health using Disk Utility? Open DU, click your drive on the left, click Verify Disk. You won't be able to repair the disk while booted from it, so if you see any errors, reboot from your recovery partition (hold cmd-R on startup if you have OS X 10.7 or above; use an installation DVD if 10.6) and use the copy of Disk Utility there to Repair Disk.

Also, whether you have a grumbling hard drive or not, but certainly if you are hearing unusual sounds from a drive, you MUST run backups, either Time Machine or another reliable system. Are you doing so?

Matt

Aug 28, 2013 3:02 AM in response to Matt Clifton

Hi thanks for your very fast reply.

Yer i did use disk utility it says that the hardsrive has no issues in green writing, Erm no the harddrives not making noisey clunks or or anything like that just some faint grumbling apple state its normal but i kind of just wanted to make sure,But I think the hardrives in good condition really im thinking of upgrading to an SSD in time hopefully when the price falls abit on them, Yer i have backed up all my files with time machine yer.

===

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.