Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are there such bad instructions for creating a table of contents?

Can't I just highlight a chapter heading and make it a TOC heading?

And would it kill you to post a video or some pictures to illustrate how to do this?

If a person is unfamiliar with the Mac toolbar, it is next to impossible to find stuff on it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 6.1.4, Pages

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 6:57 PM

By "you" I assume you mean Apple. We are not Apple, we are fellow users.

1. Create Styles in Menu > View > Show Styles Drawer

2. Apply them to Chapter Heads, Headings etc

3. Click wherever you want the T.O.C. preferably at the beginning of the document (it scans to the back)

4. Menu > Insert > T.O.C. > select which styles you want listed

If you take a little time to browse the Menus, Inspectors and Toolbar you will find Apple has laid them out very logically from the overall (File/Document) progessively down to the finer details working left to right.

The Pages09_UserGuide.pdf is available for download from under the Help menu, where there is also a link to Apple's video tutorials.

Peter

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2013 6:57 PM in response to Bisonwerks

By "you" I assume you mean Apple. We are not Apple, we are fellow users.

1. Create Styles in Menu > View > Show Styles Drawer

2. Apply them to Chapter Heads, Headings etc

3. Click wherever you want the T.O.C. preferably at the beginning of the document (it scans to the back)

4. Menu > Insert > T.O.C. > select which styles you want listed

If you take a little time to browse the Menus, Inspectors and Toolbar you will find Apple has laid them out very logically from the overall (File/Document) progessively down to the finer details working left to right.

The Pages09_UserGuide.pdf is available for download from under the Help menu, where there is also a link to Apple's video tutorials.

Peter

Aug 27, 2013 8:34 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks, Peter, and being the newbie, I thought I was addressing those who created the problem.

I am disappointed in the support Apple provides, but am grateful for helpful advice from fellow users.

I'll follow your instructions tomorrow and see if I have better luck.

In choosing the header and highlighting the chapter titles it did not seem to do anything when I hit "update table." I tried it repeatedly. Similarly, since it was not accepting these entries, no table was (apparently) being built.

Question: if one selects the title of a chapter 2 for example, how do I express it so that it becomes synched with the TOC?

Thanks again for the help.

Greg

Aug 27, 2013 9:12 PM in response to Bisonwerks

Hi Greg,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Inspector > Document > TOC

User uploaded file

You can find the styles in Menu > View > Show Styles Drawer.

Here is a TOC (blue outline shows it is selected) from Chapter titles in Heading 1 Style:

User uploaded file

Note that the TOC is at the top of the document.

Note that I added Chapter 3 after creating the TOC. Select the TOC to update.

Regards,

Ian.

Why are there such bad instructions for creating a table of contents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.