Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync iPod calendar with iCal?

Hello everyone,

I have just been bought a new iPod touch as a birthday present. Since I have never had a device that operates like a smart phone before (I know it's not exactly a smart phone), I thought I would begin to use it as a diary, note-taker etc. I have always done these things on paper, but now I think it would be a good idea to have them synchronized between iPod and computer.

My laptop is running Snow Leopard, which I believe is too old to exploit iCloud. So I have been trying to find out the "old fashioned" way of syncronizing an iPod and iCal on my laptop. I thought it would do it automatically during the usual iTunes sync, but apparently not. And I've found surprisingly little information on the web.

What I have done so far is try to set up an account on iCal. I clicked to add a new account, selected "Automatic" for account type, put my usual Gmail address in the e-mail address bar, and my Gmail password in the password bar. Then clicked create.

But as soon as I now try to enter anything in the calender, an error message comes up (I have redacted the event name and my Gmail username):

The server responded with an error.

Access to “[EVENT NAME]” in “[MY GMAIL USERNAME]@googlemail.com” in account “[MY GMAIL USERNAME]@gmail.com” is not permitted.

The server responded:

“HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden”

to operation CalDAVWriteEntityQueueableOperation.

Seems as though some mismatch between "gmail" and "googlemail" is the problem?

Anyway, I'm not even sure I want to start using Google calendar – that was just what iCal automatically gave me. Is there not an Apple equivalent (not iCloud) that would make things more compatible?

Since I'm starting from scratch, I thought this would be easy, but no such luck!

Thanks for any help!

Jon

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPod touch 5g

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 9:17 AM

Hey JonC84

Thanks for the question. You can definitely sync your new iPod touch with the local calendar on your computer (you won't need to setup an account like iCloud). The following article may help you achieve this:

iOS: How to transfer or sync content to your computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296

Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, and Notes

You can sync contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and notes with other applications on your computer. This allows you keep all your information in sync across multiple computers and iOS devices. The settings for these items are all in the Info tab for your iOS device in iTunes. With your iOS device connected to the computer, select your iOS device. Then click the Info tab.

[…]

Calendars

To sync calendars with your computer, choose "Sync Calendars" or "Sync iCal Calendars."

[…]

- When syncing calendars, you can sync all calendars or sync specific calendars.

- You can limit the data that is synced to only events that have occurred in the last 30 days. The option can be changed to any number of days.

For additional information, see this article (while the article refers to iTunes 11, most steps are applicable for you):

iTunes 11 for Mac: Sync contacts, calendars, and other info with iPod, iPhone, or iPad

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12117

Thanks,

Matt M.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2013 9:17 AM in response to JonC84

Hey JonC84

Thanks for the question. You can definitely sync your new iPod touch with the local calendar on your computer (you won't need to setup an account like iCloud). The following article may help you achieve this:

iOS: How to transfer or sync content to your computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296

Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, and Notes

You can sync contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and notes with other applications on your computer. This allows you keep all your information in sync across multiple computers and iOS devices. The settings for these items are all in the Info tab for your iOS device in iTunes. With your iOS device connected to the computer, select your iOS device. Then click the Info tab.

[…]

Calendars

To sync calendars with your computer, choose "Sync Calendars" or "Sync iCal Calendars."

[…]

- When syncing calendars, you can sync all calendars or sync specific calendars.

- You can limit the data that is synced to only events that have occurred in the last 30 days. The option can be changed to any number of days.

For additional information, see this article (while the article refers to iTunes 11, most steps are applicable for you):

iTunes 11 for Mac: Sync contacts, calendars, and other info with iPod, iPhone, or iPad

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12117

Thanks,

Matt M.

How do I sync iPod calendar with iCal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.