Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme - no dns servers, no internet connection, amber flashing light please help!

So I recently got my cable internet setup

everything works great when i plug the modem directly to the iMac. instant connnection, great speeds.

however i just purchased an airport extreme

i went throught the initial setup with no problems, however once setup was done the amber light was flashing and I had two errors

1/ no dns servers

2/ no internet connection

i rebooted the modem, rebooted the AE still no go.

I reset the AE to default settings and went through the same setup.

Still the same.

Any ideas.

I have a brand new huawei cable modem, have the ether cable plugged into the WAN port in the AE like it should be.

What ive tried also is entering 8.8.8.8 as the dns resolvers (these are googles i believe)

Once it updated, the DNS error went away but the no internet connection error was still there and the amber flashing light still there.

I checked the IP that the AE was spitting out. So I connect the my wifi (from the AE) on my iphone and it connects fine, I even get a NAT address (10.x.x.x) but not internet connection.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 6:33 AM

12 replies

Aug 28, 2013 6:50 AM in response to alangolding25

It is a Huawei MT130U. Ive been assured by other people that the airport extreme can work with these modems. Its a brand new one.

Yeah my goal is to use the airport as a wifi router to connect devices to the internet wirelessly.

Ill try what you suggested.

In what circumstances then would not not use bridged mode e.g. DHCP and NAT.

I figured I would need DHCP and NAT. DHCP picking up the ip from the modem, and nat spitting out the 10.x.x.x address for the wifi?

btw thanks for replying

Aug 28, 2013 7:35 AM in response to alangolding25

For a "simple" sturdy WiFi net you do not need NAT.

When you have set the AE as above, the do the power cycle for bot the Modem and the AE: take both off the power grid, let the internet cable to the internet wall socket and the ethernet cable between the modem and the AE in, wait 15 seconds then plug in the modem, wait till it is fully started, then plug the AE in. The IP will be distributed by the modem through the router.

Nov 18, 2016 12:47 PM in response to alangolding25

To anyone that may have this problem in the future, I spoke with someone at Spectrum and he said the company automatically audits the modems on a near nightly basis and bridges the ethernet ports and puts out a single DNS number (unless your subscription includes their WiFi, in which case you are probably not having this problem). Bridging the ports disables all but one of the ports on the back of the modem and assigns a DSN only to the device that is logged on first. To enable Airport Extreme to allow multiple devices to log on it must be set to NAT mode on the Network page of Airport Utility so that the DNS numbers for each are produced by Airport EX. I hope this helps anyone who finds him or her self in a similar predicament.

Airport Extreme - no dns servers, no internet connection, amber flashing light please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.