Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Airport Extreme set up problem

I concluded that my old airport base station had intermittent issues so bought a new Airport Extreme. Went through set up OK but could not use MAcBook it is running OS 10.6.8 so used set up with IPAD on IOS 6.1.3.

Problem: only one device at a time can use the Internet. I have to "release" the connection to switch service to the Ipad or to second laptop on the network.

Plus I have two Airport Express (one for range extension and one for a non-wireless printer) and Airport Utility will not "see" eitther one of them.

Clearly something is not set up correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a ATT microcel set up between the DSL modem and the Airport Extreme as we have poor cel service in this area. That microcel no longer provides its service.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), MAC user since 1986

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 8:59 AM

Everything you describe is pointing to the DSL modem as the source of this problem.

Power it down and allow a moment or two for it to reset. Leave it connected to your Extreme. Then, power it back up again, allow it to perform its startup sequence, and determine if additional devices can connect.

If not, "hard reset" the Extreme and configure it again. Do not disconnect it from the modem.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2013 8:59 AM in response to dee239

Everything you describe is pointing to the DSL modem as the source of this problem.

Power it down and allow a moment or two for it to reset. Leave it connected to your Extreme. Then, power it back up again, allow it to perform its startup sequence, and determine if additional devices can connect.

If not, "hard reset" the Extreme and configure it again. Do not disconnect it from the modem.

Aug 28, 2013 12:13 PM in response to John Galt

Above did not work. Reset modem. Did hard Airport reset same result.

The Ipad Airport Utility is set to bridge mode.

I keep geting a message when I start up another laptop that another computer (be it laptop, iphone, ipad) is using this address and I have to release it to get usage on th emachine I am trying to use.. I do that but then other devices cannot use Internet.

Aug 29, 2013 5:54 AM in response to dee239

It sounds as though you are using the "alternate connection" method on page 18 of the MicroCell's instructions, is that correct? Is there a reason to not use the "I have a network" instructions in Step 1?

If not, connect your equipment this way:

1. Disconnect power from everything including the modem - unplug it from the wall socket.
  2. Disconnect the MicroCell and connect your modem directly to the Extreme's WAN User uploaded file port.
  3. Connect the MicroCell's yellow Ethernet port to an Extreme's LAN User uploaded file port.
  4. Power up all the equipment again.

Aug 29, 2013 1:35 PM in response to John Galt

I spent about an hour on the phone wil Apple support. They were equally stumped and did numerous resets, etc.

The stumper was the message from Earthlink (my ISP) that said I had to "release the commection from the current computer/device" to the one I was trying to use. The final APPLE recommendation was to go to Earthlink. or to try a new modem. Turns out Earthlink had sent me a new ZyEXL P-600 as a replacement for the Netopia I was using. I had some DSL speed issues and they thought this would help . The ZyXEL was slower so I had switched back to the Netopia before this problem with my Airport Graphite dying.

So bottom line John is that your first suggestion "pointing to the DSL modem" was correct.

There must be something with the old modem that would not let it use multiple copies of the same address.

Aug 30, 2013 6:27 AM in response to dee239

Thanks - the ZyXEL P-600 is not just a modem, it's a combination modem / router or what is sometimes called a "gateway". That's the reason for your "double NAT" warning.

You should have only one router on your network. So, you have to decide which device to designate as your router, and for that I recommend the Extreme due to the features it has vs. the cheap equipment most ISPs provide. At the moment I'm not clear on whether you're using a Netopia router or the ZyXEL but there is probably a way to disable the router function for each one. That's what you need to do.

If you ask your ISP how to disable the router in their equipment, they can probably point you in the right direction. This is also known as placing their modem / router box in "bridge mode". Here is one such procedure: http://support.earthlink.net/articles/dsl/zyxel-p660rd1-how-to-set-the-modem-for -bridge-mode.php

Once that is accomplished, the Extreme will work as it should. If your ISP doesn't understand what you're asking then write back and I'll try to help.

I still think the MicroCell should be installed in the normal way as its instructions describe under "I have a network".

New Airport Extreme set up problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.