Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to Airport express

Hi guys I have the following problem:

I'm using an Airport express to extend my network. It is connected to the router provided by the local telecom distributor, this router is a cisco.

so i have the cisci router in my living room, and an ethernet connection to my work room. theres the airport express, wich should create a new wifi network. I was able to create all of this about half a year ago when I bought the Airport express. I connected a brother printer via the usb port, and everything worked perfect.

Now I have a new Printer, I unplugged the old one, plugged in the new one, and it worked too.

Then I wasn't in the work room for a few days and now when I went back to the room I have no connection. The Airport express light is green but when I try to connect to the wifi, it starts to flash amber. when I let it sit as is, It is green and stays green till I try to connect. I was able to install the newest firmware, but didn't helped..

any suggestions?

thank you

Dousi

Airport Express-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 6:52 AM

8 replies

Aug 29, 2013 3:01 PM in response to Dousi

To be clear, you are using a Cisco router that has an Ethernet cable going to your work room, and that end is connected to an Express's WAN User uploaded fileport. The Express's LED was green but as soon as you try to connect to it, the LED starts flashing amber and you have no wireless Internet. Is that correct?

Further, if you disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Express and plug it directly into the MacBook you can connect without difficulty, correct?

What is the Cisco router's model number?

Aug 30, 2013 5:30 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

To be clear, you are using a Cisco router that has an Ethernet cable going to your work room, and that end is connected to an Express's WAN User uploaded fileport.

Correct.

John Galt wrote:

The Express's LED was green but as soon as you try to connect to it, the LED starts flashing amber and you have no wireless Internet. Is that correct?

Correct. yesterday Ive tried again to connect, but it was flashing very strangely. It got green, changed quickly to amber and then off, got back to green, quick to Amber and off. was blinking like that all the time. I was able to connect with the Apple Airport program on my mac, and it showed two problems, 3 problems, to problems. when I klicked on the Express, I saw that it found the Ethernet, lost it again, found it again, lost again... it changed about every second...

John Galt wrote:

Further, if you disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Express and plug it directly into the MacBook you can connect without difficulty, correct?

Correct.

John Galt wrote:

What is the Cisco router's model number?

I'll check that in the evening, when I'm back home.

Thank you for your help!

Aug 30, 2013 6:51 AM in response to Dousi

Dousi wrote:

... yesterday Ive tried again to connect, but it was flashing very strangely. It got green, changed quickly to amber and then off, got back to green, quick to Amber and off.

... I saw that it found the Ethernet, lost it again, found it again, lost again... it changed about every second...

Thanks. That is very strange behaviour that I hope does not indicate the Express has failed 😟

Make sure the Ethernet cable between the Express's WAN User uploaded file port and one of the the Cisco EPC3925's yellow ports remains connected. Do not connect the Express's LAN port to anything yet. Then "hard reset" the Express and configure it again.

To "hard reset" the Express: make sure it's powered up, then press and hold its tiny reset button and keep it depressed for five to ten seconds, long enough for its LED to flash amber rapidly. Release the reset button. Then, the LED will glow amber steadily for about a minute. Then, it will flash amber, slowly, about once every second or two, waiting for you to configure it with AirPort Utility.

Open AirPort Utility and configure the Express. After you complete all the configuration steps you should eventually reach a conclusion resembling the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

(Don't pay attention to the names and pictures in the above - only the words "using Ethernet" are important.)

Sep 2, 2013 10:56 AM in response to John Galt

it doesn't works. tried it, but the message never showed up. I was able to configure the express, but then when it restarts and connects to the newly made wifi, the following showed up:

http://youtu.be/KkKoZxPJmMY

so has it failed?

another question: I've lost the bill of the express (haven't bought it from apple) and I don't know when exactly I've bought it. is there any possibility to find this out?

Can't connect to Airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.