Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi bug on Iphone 4S?

I have an Iphone 4S with IOS 6.1.3 and suddenly the wifi stopped working. It won't detect any network neither get connected (if found). Sometimes after restarting the Iphone, the wifi button is greyed-out

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 11:10 AM

13 replies

Aug 28, 2013 3:24 PM in response to DiegoCabanas

Use this article: iOS: Wi-Fi settings grayed out or dim - Apple - Support

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

If this does not resolve your issue, then create a backup in iTunes or iCloud, and then restore the device as new: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

If the issue persists, it is likely a hardware issue and needs to be serviced. If you are in warranty, it should be free. Out of warranty will be $199.

Aug 28, 2013 3:55 PM in response to DiegoCabanas

My son got the same problem and we went to so called genius bar... answer: "it does not work anymore, sorry", as simple as that and after 16 months of purchase the answer of Apple is : buy a new one at an incredibely low price ($200 !).

We were very good Apple customers (we've iphones, ipads, ipods and even an Imac...) and we're going to switch rapidly now.

Good luck for your own problem, you might have a solution by resetting the network of you iphone and if it does not work, then still try a genius bar they have some means to check the problem.

Aug 28, 2013 4:00 PM in response to metrrey

You should have purchased the AppleCare/AppleCarePlus for $69/$99. You would have gotten a free replacement at up to the 24 month mark.

Your device worked properly for the duration of your warranty. I'm not sure why you're upset now, since at the time of purchase, you obviously were satisfied with the one year warranty.

A replacement iPhone 4S for $199 (compared to $549 - $749), that has a 90-day warranty, whereas your old one had NO remaining warranty, is actually a good deal. $350 - $550 off?

Perhaps your wireles carrier has an upgrade available for you? Perhaps if that's the case, you'll purchase an extended warranty this time?

Aug 28, 2013 4:21 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

At that time the warranty was $99. Which added a lot for a device that I bought less than the price you're talking about thanks to my ATT lign (like I suppose many other people) I'm still not happy at all with the fact that less than 2 years after purchasing a device that is otherwise in perfect shape because we took care of it it does not work anymore and you're just saying oops sorry you should have... It proves to me that you've lost the spirit of what Apple was and that it's time to switch to people who really know what a customer service is.

Your devices are not worth $700 or so if they stop working after 15 months.

A very very disappointed customer

Aug 28, 2013 5:56 PM in response to metrrey

Um, I'm not Apple. I'm a customer, same as you.

And your device still works. It makes phone calls. You can use your cellular data plan to surf the internet. You've just lost one of the functions of the device, not everything. It's not the end of the world, and it's not the end of the device. How in the world did you ever survive in the Dark Ages before Wi-Fi was a thing?

You saved about $450 when you purchased the device from AT&T up front. Seems to me that with that kind of savings, you could have spent $99 to get an extra year of warranty, 21 extra months of telephone technical support, and two incidents of damage-protection, where you'd only pay $49 for a catastrophically damaged phone.

You didn't pay full retail price for the phone when you bought it, so complaining now that the AppleCare was 'too expensive' is ironic.

Name me another tech company that offers to replace an out-of-warranty device for 66% off the original retail price? I didn't get my Samsung TV replaced for that amount when it stopped working a year after the warranty expired. I didn't get my truck replaced for that amount when it stopped working after the warranty expired.

It is the consumer's responsibility to be aware of the terms and conditions of their purchase, and it is the seller's responsibility to make that information readily available. Apple did their part. Did you do yours?

Aug 28, 2013 6:04 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

For your knowledge, you do not save anything when you purchase a phone with a lower price thanks to your phone company, you simply pay the difference monthly for 2 years. Besides, name me one company in good shape that sells products $700 and says that it is normal if they only long 15 months.

Sorry guy but this does not make any sense

Aug 28, 2013 6:13 PM in response to metrrey

I said 'You saved about $450 when you purchased the device from AT&T up front.' There was an UPFRONT savings. I never said it wasn't subsidized over time. And in fact, since you've COMMITTED to paying for the device over a two year period, why did it not make sense to have PROTECTION for the device during that time frame? Would you make sure you had sufficient coverage to pay off the remainder of your car loan during the time in which you were financing it? In fact, most finance companies require that.

In other words, you were FULLY AWARE that you would be committed to paying for this device for two years, but WILLINGLY chose NOT to purchase any form of protection for the device for the second half of that time period?

Hmm. You knew the committment, but chose to take a risk.

Let me ask you this; hypothetically, if your iPhone had been accidentally water-damaged, what would you have done? Would AT&T replace it for free?

And Apple doesn't say that this is 'normal'. Show me where they've said that. The one year is the MINIMUM amount of time until appropriate failure. The actual MTBF is much, much higher. Some people's iPhones will last for a very long time. Others, not so much. This particular issue is not so prevelant as to affect the MTBF significantly.

Aug 28, 2013 7:12 PM in response to metrrey

The average iPhone doesn't last for 15 months. The MTBF is a LOT higher than that. You got one on the low end. Other people have devices on the high end. My 3GS is about 4 years old, and has had no issues whatsoever. Granted, I don't use it that much anymore, but it still works just fine.

Feel free to spend your money elsewhere. I use a non-Apple cell phone myself.

Aug 28, 2013 7:49 PM in response to DiegoCabanas

This was my first apple device (iphone 4s) friends raved about apple this, apple that. " Its a protected network with an amazing service standard thats not afraid to stand behind their products". So despite my better judgment, I joined the Isheep. I will say it IOS is smooth and just feels right, ESPECIALLY on the Ipads. Suddently my phone was no longer good enough I wanted one. Got and have liked it well with the exception of service coverage (not the carrier cause my other phone was fine and my wifes still is, BTW is not an Iphone). So the last update comes about, as we all know the Itunes market really tries hard to stay up to date with the changing versions so staying up to date when using often updated apps, kinda a requirement. Wi-Fi stops connecting and dropping connections randomly. For my job it is important to get things quickly to turn it over quickly. That being said having any smart phone device that does not connect to wifi and service is spotty is like a bike without wheels. You can get on, pedal all you want, but its not going anywhere fast. I have tried reseting network, resetting settings, resetting the phone to a factory reset with no resolve. I too did not purchase the extended warranty do to trading in my phones long before the longevity of the device. I purchased and a brand new otterbox then upgraded to the lifeproof case which both are amazing. Never in the past have I used the warranty when purchased and have stopped carrying phones and phones ago. There is not a scratch and has been removed from its cases rarely only for cleaning purposes, it is pristine. I have read many articles regarding this issue and assume there will be a patch at some point. But, how long will it be. How many devices will fail due to a manadatory upating process for the purpose of bettering the device. The appearance of the action behind these updates when creating so many problems seems to be that of a near destructive intent. Very discouraged user providing yet another story of similiar circumstance.

Mar 26, 2015 12:55 AM in response to DiegoCabanas

So, it's been years since this issue has occurred. And yet Apple hasn't come up with any resolution with this. I feel hopeless with my phone...

I'm using my iPhone 4s for over a year now. And while in the middle of updating the iOS 8.1 to 8.2, same issue happened, Wi-fi switch is now greyed out and inaccessible. I hope Apple is planning towards a beneficiary resolution about this...

Wifi bug on Iphone 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.