Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes starting by itself and playing music

I've been having this problem and solved it. While I was looking for a fix, I've found that it is a common problem and the cause can be pretty much anything. I thought it would be a good idea to list potential causes for this problem for future reference. Feel free to complete this list if I've missed anything.

Here are some of the possible causes for iTunes starting up / playing songs by itself :

• Other applications may be requiring access to iTunes' database, try disabling music-related apps or plug-ins (i.e. Last.fm)
  • iTunes may be set to start up when you plug in an iDevice : in the device summary page in iTunes, untick "Open iTunes when this device is connected"
  • If your Mac has an IR receiver, it may be receiving signals from a remote (controlling another Mac) : in system settings, under Security / Advanced... disable the IR receiver or pair it with a single remote
  • An iDevice might be using the Remote application for iOS to control your library via wi-fi. In iTunes settings, under Devices, click Forget all remotes
  • Some Macs (or all, I don't know) have audio jacks designed to be compatible with Apple's iPhone earphones, so that you can control your system volume and iTunes music with the buttons on the earphones. If you have them plugged in, check that you are not accidentally pressing them. If you have external speakers or any other headphones plugged in the audio jack, make sure it is correctly inserted because a loose connection could create "noise" which your Mac might interpret as a play/pause signal.

If nothing else works, you can try starting the Activity Monitor (under Utilities or System, not sure) and ending iTunes Helper process. This *might* solve your problem, as one of iTunes Helper's purpose is to start iTunes automatically when required. Ending it is not recommended as it is supposed to always be running in the background but it may solve your problem if nothing else works.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 2:07 PM

2 replies

Apr 22, 2014 8:38 PM in response to plgodin

Thank you! 🙂

My Mac Mini runs iTunes all the time, so the Apple TV's in the LAN can play music stored on the Mini. Normally, I don't play music directly from iTunes on the Mini, but many times I have logged in to the Mini only to find music playing when it should not be. I pause the music, and then sometime later it starts playing again on the Mini, seemingly all by itself. This has been going on for some time, and a real puzzle. I've tried various remedies, including making an empty playlist and opening it on the Mini in iTunes. Nothing I tried had worked, so I just turned the iTunes volume completely down, and lived with this "ghost in the machine."

It so happens my Mini lives in a media closet where one of the ATV's also lives (on the same shelf). My devices in the media closet are controlled via infrared transmitters inside the closet which, in turn, are controlled by RF via the Logitech Harmony 900 in another room.

It never occurred to me that the infrared signals sent to the ATV were also being picked up by the IR receiver in the Mac Mini (which I never realized existed and was turned on by default). I disabled the IR receiver on the Mini, and hallelujah! No more iTunes music mysteriously playing on the Mini itself inside the media closet!

iTunes starting by itself and playing music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.