Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Foscam FI8905W CD does not work with Mac

I bought a Foscam FI8905W because the company says there cameras work with Mac OS. The installation program on the CD just runs a Terminal program forever. Nothing ever installs. Anyone else have this issue? Their Cust support only says to run the CD and the program will work automatically. They say there is a problem with my Mac and I should get it repaired. Every other task I have ever tried to run on this MBP has been very easy. This is my first IP camera.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 4:02 PM

12 replies

Aug 28, 2013 4:56 PM in response to Csound1

When I click to start the CD I have these options:

1. For Windows OS

2. For MAC OS

3. Central Management Software

Read Me First.pdf.

I clicked on the For MAC OS and get these options:

1. Quick Installation Guide (MAC).pdf

2. User Manual (MAC).pdf

IP Camera Tool2 - for MAC.zip

Readme

I clicked on the .zip file and a green zip icon appears on my dock for no more than 3 seconds then disappears. If I drag that .zip file to my desktop I can extract the actual program inside called "IP Camera Tool.app". Once I click on the IP Camera Tool.app, a white box labeled "IP Camera Tool" appears. It has three options at the bar at the top of the screen - IP Camera Tool - Edit - Window. There are no real options to choose from in any of these choices that resemble anything that would install a program.

I waited on hold again for tech support. They now say all I have to do is connect the camera to the computer and the cameras automatically detect the software on the computer. He said that I cannot install the software from the disck until the camera is connected. I have the camera connected to my MBP via the supplied ethernet connector and I have 115vac at the power plug. The red LED lights are on so I also know it has power.

I hope this helps you help me. Thank you

Aug 28, 2013 5:14 PM in response to kchercmech

According to this post on Amazon, the camera is accessed through your web browser; the software is included to assist your computer in recognizing the IP of the camera and doesn't appear to be completely necessary.

Try browsing the user manual and see if that is of any assistance. Unfortunately I could not find the Mac version of the manual, but it still may be helpful.

Aug 28, 2013 5:23 PM in response to fingalls

OK. With all of the help from everyone here and in one other forum - I am able to use my browser and an ethernet cable to view the camera on my MBP. Apparently, the software is actually on the camera. Now all I must do is figure out how to view the cameras using my network wirelessly. This camera looks even better in night mode than I could have hoped. I have it in my office which has black out shades and there is no artificial light what so ever and I can read the lettering of my diplomas.

Foscam FI8905W CD does not work with Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.