Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up out-of-office auto responder?

When I go to Mail/ Preferences/ Rule

Reply to message text / ok....

It seems to send a message to my entire contact base in Apple mail rather than wait for someone to send me an email and get an auto-response back that I am unavailable.

What part of this puzzle is missing for me?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 6:02 PM

6 replies

Aug 28, 2013 6:58 PM in response to Cjnb

This guide has worked for me, although I have known rules to be finicky. If it doesn't work right off the bat, unfortunately the only thing you can do is to try re-creating it and hope it writes itself correctly.

Make sure you select "Don't Apply" when Mail asks you if you want to apply the rule to existing messages. That is what is causing the message to be sent to your entire contact base upon creating the rule.

Aug 29, 2013 5:13 AM in response to fingalls

fingalls wrote:

This guide has worked for me, although I have known rules to be finicky. If it doesn't work right off the bat, unfortunately the only thing you can do is to try re-creating it and hope it writes itself correctly.

Make sure you select "Don't Apply" when Mail asks you if you want to apply the rule to existing messages. That is what is causing the message to be sent to your entire contact base upon creating the rule.

And what happens when the Mac goes to sleep?

How to set up out-of-office auto responder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.