Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help w macbook 10.6.8 bought new battery A1185 not working

I need help! I bought my macbook in early 2009 and my battery stopped working about 2 years ago and in the meantime I updated the system to Snow Leopard so now it is Mac OS X version 10.6.8. I bought online a genuine apple battery model A1185 (i pulled out the original battery and that was the model number) . Now i have put in the new battery but my computer doesnt recognise that its there and has a X in the battery symbol on the top of the screen. The power cord is a green colour except for when i turn it off and then it turns orange. So I left the battery in and the cord connected overnight while it was turned off with the orange light on thinking that the new battery must be charging but today when i checked it (over 12 hours later) the battery symbol still shows an X and when i disconnect the power cord the computer loses all power indicating that it is not registered that there is a battery there.

Also when I remove the new battery and press the small button only one of the five green lights, light up. I also have been browsing this issue online and saw some reference to the old macbook battery not working with the new system 10.6 so i did a software update but still not working. Any help greatly appreciated!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), battery A1185

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 10:09 PM

3 replies

Aug 28, 2013 10:23 PM in response to FrederikaPa

The battery is either not being recognized or it is bad:

1) Try reseating the battery

2) Try an SMC reset

3) The battery is most likely bad:

From the Finder Menu Bar, hold down Option and click the Apple Logo > System Profiler > Hardware > Power

Post the output in your reply.

See here for detailed instructions:

MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air: Battery not recognized after ...

Aug 28, 2013 11:06 PM in response to nbar

Thanks nbar for your reply but unfortunately its still not working after doing the SMC reset and following the other suggestions. Also below is the battery info from the Finder Menu Bar, hold down Option and click the Apple Logo > System Profiler > Hardware > Power

Battery Information:

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 0

Fully charged: No

Charging: No

Full charge capacity (mAh): 0

Health Information:

Cycle count: 0

Battery Installed: No

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 0

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 77

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 20

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: Yes

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake On LAN: No

Current Power Source: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 85

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x00ba

Serial Number: 0x00a0caf9

Charging: No

Power Events:

Next Scheduled Events:

Type: Wake or Power On

Scheduled By: Repeating Event

Time: 30/08/13 12:00 AM

Repeating Events:

Type: Wake or Power On

Time: 12:00 AM every day

Aug 29, 2013 4:30 AM in response to FrederikaPa

Battery Installed: No

Okay, so the machine is not even recognizing the battery as present. . A1185 is the model of the CPU, not the battery, but it would be fairly obvious if you ordered a battery not compatible with your machine (it would either fit correctly, or it wouldn't). If you already tried reseating the battery, there is nothing you can do besides taking the machine in servicing. The problem is either with the battery itself, or the computer's battery connection.

Help w macbook 10.6.8 bought new battery A1185 not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.