Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to migrate user to new account name (married - name change)

I am wondering how some of you handle a name change where someone gets married, and wants a new email address reflecting this.

I know I can add an alias, but I was thinking more along the lines of a new account, forwarding the email from the old account for a time.

The big area I am not sure of is migrating the folders over. I know I can set up both accounts on one machine, have the user manually migrate their folders over. If I set one of the accounts to forward, how does this effect the folder listing in the mail client? Will the folders disappear? Is there a way to migrate all the folders over from the server side?

Thanks for any help thining this process through.

X-Serve, iMac - Various years, Macbook Pro 2010, iPhone, AIX, Windows 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 5:41 AM

5 replies

Aug 30, 2013 6:14 AM in response to cpguru21

Your preferred web search engine tool should find some details on changing the shortname, which is what this question usually involves. In particular, see the Apple HT1428 support article for details; for Apple's recommendations for changing the login name. Here's a third-party suggestion. And here's what one of the local ASC users is recommending.

Aug 30, 2013 7:15 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks MrHoffman. as always you are a wealth of resource for me.

Unfortunately, this did not answer my question as I was referring to my 10.6 email server, not the local user account on the local machine.

My preferred search engine tool provided no information (well at least 4 pages deep on each search) and its possible using words like migrate didnt help. Most resources I found are for what you refered me to. Nothing to do with the Admin side of the world and specific to the email server, hence why I posted the question here.

I would love to hear others suggestions for changing a users email on the 10.6 email server side. Create a new account and have the user migrate their own folders over? Just add an alias? Can I move the folders around on the server side in one fell swoop?

Thanks,

How to migrate user to new account name (married - name change)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.