You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't recieve IMAP mails from my Scarlet account in Belgium

I can't recieve IMAP mails from my Scarlet account in Belgium. Mail says, it's an authentification problem but username and password are correct. The same account synced to an iPone works! What's going wrong? Bug in Mail?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 7:35 AM

11 replies

Aug 29, 2013 1:09 PM in response to Csound1

Here are my settings:

IMAP mailserver: imap.scarlet.be

Port: standard 143, SSL 993 (using SSL, standard is the same problem)

SMTP mailserver: smtp.scarlet.be

Port: standard 25, SSL 465 (using SSL)

Sending mails works.

Errormessage:

READ Aug 29 21:54:25.079 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1SSLv3] -- host:imap.scarlet.be -- port:993 -- socket:0x7ff01858b630 -- thread:0x7ff01208b900

3.496 BAD Mate, try AUTHENTICATE <mechanism>

Username and password are correct and worked in the synched account on my iPhone. I think, something goes wrong with Mail, maybe it sends a wrong character in the password string to the server. I can use any other password, it's always the same problem. Outlook Express on Windows is working fine, also Sparrow on my Mac (with the same settings). I think, it must be a bug in Apple Mail.

Aug 30, 2013 12:25 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

The settings look correct, on the face of it you should be receiving mail. Does this provider use Gmail by any chance.

Put another way, do you use 2 part authentication by chance?

I have no idea what it is, but do not think that they use it. The authentification method is "password".

Can't recieve IMAP mails from my Scarlet account in Belgium

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.