Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s does not ring or alert for a text

does not ring or sound alert for text message/

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 12:19 PM

9 replies

Sep 9, 2013 9:43 AM in response to tboatjim

Same thing here. I miss half of my messages until I hit the home button and there they are. Of course it works every time I create a test.

Also my battery has tanked over the last week. It's not a gradual thing. I take it off charge in the morning at 100% and before I leave the house with no activity it's in the 80s.

I'm still under Applecare+ for a few weeks. Think they will do anything?

Dec 18, 2013 2:58 PM in response to tboatjim

(I found solution on another discussion):-

This worked for my Iphone 4

Firstly make sure your mute isn't on (the top left slide should NOT show red) Then go to:-

Settings

General

Accessibility (go down under PHYSICAL & MOTOR)

Assistive touch - switch On.

Click on this assistive touch which should now appear on your screen (it's a faded square with a white circle icon button)

Now, select DEVICE and make sure the bell has a line through it (it should say Mute with a line through the bell).

PS. My iphone on the side is showing mute not on (no red), using the assistive touch ( the white button that appears on your home screen, go to DEVICE and switch the mute key to the opposite... that is on my phone showing the MUTE as on (bell with cross through it, opposite to phone), my phone now rings.

Hope this works for you like it worked for me!!

Feb 3, 2014 2:35 PM in response to tboatjim

There are a few things you should try.

• Replug the iPhone to the dock and then remove it again. Sometimes, it’s just a software pass-out and reconnecting the iPhone to the dock triggers the software again.
  • If you use earphones, plug in and then remove it again. With the earphone removed, try increasing/decreasing th volume. Does the volume HUD say Ringtone (headset)? If yes, the iPhone is till thinking that the earphones are plugged in. If not, the speaker should be working now.
  • Take a brush and dust off the dock connector. This region, which lies just close to the speakers, can accumulate a bit of a dust. With time, the dust becomes dense enough to actually trick the software into thinking that the iPhone is docked.
  • You can also tap (a little strongly) right of the home screen. Right beneath this casing is the speaker connections. Something might have loosened up here. Tapping doesn’t guarantee a working solution but it’s known to fix things a few times.
  • At a slightly advanced level you might want to take a sharp object – like a pin – and clear out the dust over the dock connector.
  • Use the pin to clear out – very carefully – dust in the headphone port. Dust within the port can also cause sound problems.
  • Sill not working? Contact apple! 1-800-MY-APPLE or visit your local store

-daaple

iPhone 4s does not ring or alert for a text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.