Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the Thunderbolt display be used as an HDMI monitor w/ the adapter?

Hello there! I was wondering, If I bought this monitor along with a Thunderbolt to HDMI converter, can I put an putgoing HDMI signal (cable box) into the adapter and have it display on this screen?

I currently have an asus monitor that I switch HDMI cords between my macbook and TV on, but would be highly interested in purchasing this monitor if I had the ability to switch between the two.

If I do have the ability, how would I go about switching between the two inputs?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 12:22 PM

StudioLoft wrote:

Thank you for all the information!

I am aware there is no HDMI port on the back, but even with the HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter I wont get a signal?

That is correct. The adapter you are referring to can actually only convert Thunderbolt to HDMI, but it will not work in reverse. Actually, to be even more technically-accurate, it adds an HDMI port to your Thunderbolt bus.

Back in the old analog days, most adapters would function bi-directionally, yes. That's probably what you are thinking of. But with modern digital signals and adapters, there are actually small circuitboards and even sometimes logic chips inside modern adapters such as the Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter - they are designed to only work for certain specific types of applications. This one will simply will not work in reverse. Trust me.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2013 12:22 PM in response to StudioLoft

StudioLoft wrote:

Thank you for all the information!

I am aware there is no HDMI port on the back, but even with the HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter I wont get a signal?

That is correct. The adapter you are referring to can actually only convert Thunderbolt to HDMI, but it will not work in reverse. Actually, to be even more technically-accurate, it adds an HDMI port to your Thunderbolt bus.

Back in the old analog days, most adapters would function bi-directionally, yes. That's probably what you are thinking of. But with modern digital signals and adapters, there are actually small circuitboards and even sometimes logic chips inside modern adapters such as the Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter - they are designed to only work for certain specific types of applications. This one will simply will not work in reverse. Trust me.

Aug 30, 2013 4:09 AM in response to StudioLoft

Just to tag on to what Malcolm said, there are no adapters to make it work with ANY other type of signal than Thunderbolt. I have tried personally (and unsuccessfully) because I am stubborn, and wanted to be 100% sure myself. An Apple Thunderbolt Display will only work with Thunderbolt - so that means no hooking it up to anything else - be it HDMI, DVI, VGA, or other video source.

There were online rumors awhile back (when Thunderbolt Displays first came out) that Apple themselves was developing an adapter that would solve your problem, but as of right now those rumors appear to have been false - or at the very least, have not come to fruition yet.

If you want a 27" display that is *similar* to Apple's 27" Thunderbolt Display, but offers the convenience of HDMI, DVI, and VGA connections... word on the street is that Monoprice's new 27" IPS Glass Panel Pro monitor is a worthy competitor. It won't be quite up to the quality you'll get from Apple's display, but if you need connections other than Thunderbolt, especially HDMI, it may be your closest option.

<Link Edited by Host>

Dec 25, 2013 5:34 PM in response to StudioLoft

Unfortunately I got one with my MBAir and now I am realizing how unflexible it is. I just decided to sell mine because I can not use it with my other laptop. I really wish there would be an adapter. I also feel kind of tricked because I asumed I can use it on a standard display port with the adapter. Finally i understand how thunderbolt works and I ask myself why did you choose the same dp form for thunderbolt. A own one would have been much more clear to the customers. Thanks

Can the Thunderbolt display be used as an HDMI monitor w/ the adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.