Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 13 Hinge noise

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro 13 (not-retina) which I got today. Now first of all I want to you all you that this is my 3rd macbook this month. Shocked right? The first one's hinge would press inwards as I rubs it, the second one didn't have a flat bottom (warped or something) so it wobbled and now I have this third laptop. I can't keep telling my parents to drive me to the Apple store because now they are starting to think that Apple might be garbage and is not the brand it used to be...

This time... this MBP makes a hinge snapping noise. Now I just got it today, and the sound is very soft and low. Since I just got this today, I'm worried it will continue to make snapping sounds and will deteriorate over time (passing my 1 year warranty). Everything else seems fine (as of now).

Can you guys please tell me if this hinge snap sound is common and shouldn't be worried about because the next time I go to Apple store I will bike not get a ride... If this is a common problem, will it affect my work in any other way? It only occurs if I move my lid fast and doesn't occur if I move it slowly. And trust me, its not really loud because when I unboxed it at the apple store (wanted to make sure this time) I couldn't hear anything; the store is usually crowded. But I heard it for the first time while the MBP was in my lap on my bed. Should I have this MBP which was said to be amazing (DURABLE, fast etc) returned or kept?

I'd greatly appreciate comments from the community (you guys),

Mamba out.

P.S. Any of you guys have this issue? If yes, what did you do about it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Intel Core i5 4GB Ram

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 3:05 PM

It's not normal. Take it back. As annoyed as your parents may get, I'm sure they would rather you have a defect free product that they paid for.

2 replies

Aug 31, 2013 9:41 AM in response to shldr2thewheel

Hey so I took it to my local Apple Store. Once I showed the sales person my 3 receipts, he went to his manager. His manager was apparently shocked that 3 macbooks have been bought by the same person within a month period.

So the associate told me that a technician will be looking at my current Macbook. I was like "O.K. fine". He came and I explained the clicking/snapping sound. He was like since its new, it will happen because when the macbook gets hot, the plastic expands (I know common sense but really?) and comes into contact with the aluminum. He then said that everything is ok. BTW this guy seems old and stubborn (in my opinion).

Is it just me or has Apple lost the same customer support they had years ago?? I'd appreciate your thoughts on what has happened and what I should do. The laptop seems to function properly as of now (3 days old). I feel like saying ok I want to return it- maybe they would do something? But I guess it depends on who I talk to. School in 3 days...

Mamba out.

MBP 13 Hinge noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.