Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with newest AirPort Extreme firmware

I recently upgraded my AirPort Extreme to the newest firmware version to 7.6.4, and ever since I did this I have been having ongoing problems with all of my IOS devices including, IPad, IPhone, and my MacBook Pro . The wifi signal icon is always present however with regards to connection it takes forever. I have tweaked the settings within the AirPort Extreme and this still produces no increase in connectivity. I have had this product since 12/2009. So roughly 3.5 years. Is there a possibility of the unit just getting old and it is time for a new one. I do know these units have a 5 year warranty. I am to assume they should last at least this long. Other than a total hardware failure from age, the only other thing I can think of is the problems are related to the recent firmware update. Therefore, I am writing to explore if there are other individuals out there that have been experienceing the same dilemma. I am about ready to throw in the towel and get the new AirPort Extreme if this cannot be resolved.

AirPort Extreme -OTHER, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 4:25 PM

2 replies

Aug 29, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Barium1234

I would first of all try a firmware downgrade.. 7.6.1 was reasonable and 7.5.2 was even better.

Followed by a factory reset and a clean setup.

Use different names for everything in the AE.. this forces the clients to use fresh settings which also can help.. clean out all the old wireless settings and then start those over as well.

Use all names that are short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

Also try fixed wireless channels as this does sometimes help.. that also adds to more control by changing the 5ghz name so you can avoid the wireless gremlins.

Firmware downgrade is easy in v6 utility.

Just click the version with option key held down.

Select the one you want.. bang it is downloaded and installed.

User uploaded file

If none of that works.. well if you are in a region that offers 5years warranty good luck to you.

In our part of the world they have standard 1year warranty and will be covered by applecare on a computer via a complicated set of rules up to 3years.. I don't know of anything that has world wide warranty of 5years.. unless the Government says it has to.

The Gen4 AE which I think yours might be or even Gen3 can have power issues. That will affect all sorts of things. The power supply is the easiest thing to check but the apple ones are expensive.

Sep 23, 2013 8:07 PM in response to Barium1234

I'm having issues which I "think" is related to the 7.6.4 update. I normally get download speeds around 28Mbps, but it will suddenly drop to 2 or 3Mbps for a several minutes, then back to normal. And this is with my iMac connected via ethernet to the Airport Extreme. My ISP sees nothing wrong to the cable modem. The problem started about the time of the update. I just reverted back to 7.6.3, so we'll see what happens.

Problems with newest AirPort Extreme firmware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.