Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RSS Feed query

I have been using podbean as a podcast host for some time but we have recently cancelled our service with them and are moving to libsyn.

I have already posed the question to podbean: "If our data is deleted after 30 days as we were advised previously, will our podcasts that were hosted with podbean be no longer visible in iTunes?"

Their response is as follows: "As far as we know, since you submitted your feed: http://username.podbean.com/feed to iTunes, you podcasts will not be updated in iTunes as your feed expired. However, we are not in charge of iTunes, you may contact iTunes to check it out."

The response doesn't make much sense to me.

I need to know the following:

1) If the feed has 'expired', are the podcasts going to just drop off iTunes at any given moment? Podbean advised previously that they delete all your data 30 days after cancellation.

2) If the podcasts don't get lost/dropped by iTunes, are we able to use libsyn to continue adding new podcasts to our 'channel' as normal without any interruptions, or is it really hard to somehow combine RSS feeds and make a 'continuation' so to speak...?

Thanks

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 7:43 PM

5 replies

Aug 29, 2013 11:56 PM in response to LukeMegg

In order to move the iTunes Store to using a new feed you have to add a special tag to the old feed and leave it there for a couple of weeks, as detailed here:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/podcast.html#move

It sounds as if you have removed the feed without doing this (and I suspect Podbean won't let you anyway). When the feed is removed subscribers will not longer see any updates and new subscibers won't see anything. The Store will continue to show the state of the feed the laast time it could read it until the Store staff realize there is no feed available and remove it. This might take some time.

As you have a new feed, nothing will happen until you either submit it to the Store or get them to move to it. You could try emailing them at podcasts 'at' apple.com and ask them to move to the Libsyn feed. They have been known to do this for people, but their responses are variable.

Otherwise you will have to submit the Libsyn feed as an entirely new podcast; you will need to change the title slightly otherwise you will be told it has already been submitted.

When you have a query please always post the iTunes Store page and feed URLs.

Aug 30, 2013 2:11 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger

No, we ourselves haven't removed or added anything, and have left everything that way on purpose whilst we were searching for a new host. Currently we're therefore a month behind on uploading any new podcasts.

We have a podbean account which appears to still be active and we've got 60-something podcasts on iTunes Store through that, and we have a libsyn account which is active and has nothing on it at the moment (haven't even added any info about the show/channel etc yet).

It sounds to me like the easiest thing for us, having absolutely no knowledge of how podcasting works, would be to find a way to remove the whole podcast and all its contents from iTunes and start from scratch? We want to obviously avoid having duplicate channels with weird/differing names etc.

I'd be most comfortable if we had to start from scratch, I have backups of all the old data anyway, so actually going and re-uploading it is something we can spread between 3 or 4 people over the course of a week to get us back up and running if we need to.

Also I'd love to help with the Store Page and feed URLs but I don't know how to go about finding them...

Aug 30, 2013 2:16 AM in response to LukeMegg

The best way is to redirect the Store to the new feed, so that the change is seamless for visitors. However I rather suspect that podbean will not allow you to add the redirection tag to the feed - though you could check on this - and in that case you would have to email Support as I indicated above. You will need to know the URLs to do this. If you post the name of your podcast I will check on the URLs.

Aug 30, 2013 2:22 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger

We have 2 'channels'

1) C3 Church Indooroopilly

2) C3 Church Ipswich

So are you saying that by modifying the feed to re-direct to the new one, the podcasts we currently have will remain available in the store and we can continue to seamlessly add new episodes through libsyn?

If that's not the case, is it possible that it'll work for a while and then when it stops working we can just upload what we lose to libsyn, and then is it possible to go and manually re-order them in the RSS feed so that they appear in the order that we want them to?

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2013 2:38 AM in response to LukeMegg

C3 Church Indooroopilly

The iTunes Store page is at

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/c3-church-indooroopilly/id540243287

and the feed is at http://c3churchindro.podbean.com/feed/

C3 Church Ipswich

The iTunes Store page is at

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/c3-church-ipswich/id545903684

and the feed is athttp://c3ipswitch.podbean.com/feed/

however there is no feed at this address, so it cannot be subscribed to and the Store cannot update.

You have four options.

1. Add the 'itunes:new-feed-url' tags to the Podbean feeds as described here. This is the best solution, but as I say I have a feeling that Podbean won't allow you access to the feed to modify it, or provide a method itself of adding the tag. In any case you can't do this with the Ipswitch podcast unless you restore the feed.

2. Email podcasts 'at' apple.com and ask them to move the Store to using the new feeds. In each case give them the Store page URL, and the URLs of both feeds (so you will obviously need to know the Libsyn feed URL).

3. Ask to have the podcasts removed from the Store. I quote:

• Find and select your podcast.
  • Click Report a Concern.
  • Select Remove a Podcast from the Choose a Reason menu.
  • Explain why you want the podcast removed.
  • In most cases, we will remove the podcast from iTS, especially if we find that the podcast is no longer available at the feed URL.

Despite what they say there, don't be surprised if they don't do it but tell you to use the 'itunes:block' tag - which again I doubt you can add to the feed, so that's not a lot of help. It probably depends on who answers and how co-operative they feel.

4. Close both Podbean accounts so that the feeds disappear and do nothing. Eventually the podcasts will be removed from the Store but it might take quite a long time. You would have to re-submit the Libsyn feeds as new podcasts, and you would have to change the titles, if only slightly.

RSS Feed query

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.