Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 2 iPads both the sane except for case color. One connects to my home wifi fine, the other will not "join". It finds the wifi name and the little circle turning wheel just spins.

I have 2 iPads both the sane except for case color. One connects to my home wifi fine, the other will not "join". It finds the wifi name and the little circle turning wheel just spins. I have tried about ten different "fixes" none work.. Reboot, forget wifi, etc.

Unplugged wifi on and on for about an hour.

I have compared settings between the two and cannot see any difference.

Both iPads worked fine last week. One made a trip to MI and used cellular access just fine. Now that one still uses cellular OK, but refuses to "join" the wifi.

Too bad I can't attach a picture.

Anyone care to offer a unique workable solution I have not tried?

Thanks

WD9HIK

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 5:48 PM

12 replies

Aug 29, 2013 6:55 PM in response to Diavonex

The ipad that does not "join" dose locate the wifi. Comes back with the ID for the wifi. If it was an RF hardware problem it would not come back with the ID. It decodes the wifi name, so that hardware/software is functioning for that section.

I do not understand the software protocol in locating and joining a wifi node. Can some one explain that?

Aug 29, 2013 6:58 PM in response to WD9HIK

If it isn't your router, if you can't connect on any other WiFi networks, if you reset network settings and that didn't work, you are pretty much out of options other than restoring the iOS software and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then you will need to take the iPad to an Apple store for evaluation.

Aug 30, 2013 4:49 AM in response to WD9HIK

Have you tried renewing the lease in the WiFi settings? Settings>WiFi>Your network name>Tap the blue arrow>Renew Lease. If you haven't tried that - try it first before reading the information about restoring the iOS software.

Follow the instructions in here. If you are unsure about anything - do not proceed. Post back with questions first.

iTunes: Restoring iOS software - Apple - Support

Make sure that you transfer all purchases, backup the iPad and sync with iTunes first. When you restore to factory settings, iTunes should ask if you want to backup first, but it will not hurt to initiate a backup on your won before you even start the restore process.

How to transfer purchases into your iTunes library

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848

How to backup and restore from a backup

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Sep 2, 2013 7:29 PM in response to WD9HIK

I have done nothing except let the iPad sit with the charger plugged in (was already at 90% charge from when it would not connect) ant it is now connecting to the wifi, just like the other one. Once again, just let it sit for a few days and tonight it is connecting and working as normal. I did not make any changes to any settings........

Strange!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chris

I have 2 iPads both the sane except for case color. One connects to my home wifi fine, the other will not "join". It finds the wifi name and the little circle turning wheel just spins.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.